Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Cat

Default Possible Neoprene Overlays?

Sometime last year in the midst of a discussion where I had mentioned plans to cut apart an extra neoprene mat to have matching overlays, Phil dropped a hint that I might not want to do that just yet as Steve had some thoughts for a possibility for this year.

I heed hints from Phil, and did not proceed with any cutting.

Now that I am in possession of many more varieties of neoprene mats what could use overlay help, I'm curious what the prospects are for maybe seeing neoprene overlays.

Phil? Drew? Are thoughts still bubbling on the back burner at the office?

I have been making my own felt overlays which have been working reasonably well. But still, actual matching shinies would be shiny!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
wolf90

Default Re: Possible Neoprene Overlays?

It is still under consideration (I've even designed one), but concerns include:
  • Limited appeal (potentially very limited)
  • More terrain variety than can easily fit onto one map
  • Possibly redundant concept (i.e. what's to stop anyone from just cutting up an M map?)
So, although I'm not saying it won't happen, it is not on my front burner at this time.

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #3
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
[*]Possibly redundant concept (i.e. what's to stop anyone from just cutting up an M map
Umm, waiting to see if there might be an overlay set added?
: 3

One overlay map would have many more useful combo parts than could be scavenged from any given M map. Some of the overlays could be designed to cover the specific mis-matched spots of various existing combos.

Please continue pondering. I won’t start cutting an existing M until I have specific need.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
  • Limited appeal (potentially very limited)
  • More terrain variety than can easily fit onto one map
  • Possibly redundant concept (i.e. what's to stop anyone from just cutting up an M map?)
This is a tough call. I'm personally not interested in cutting up anything, but I'm just as likely (if not more likely) to use ODE overlays anyway. I might be more interested if it was pre-cut pieces rather than something I'd have to cut up myself.

I'm not sure terrain variety is that important; it's probably enough to have just basic terrain types. I don't think you need a bunch of road/rail or anything like that; the main issues are actual terrain.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
Buzzardo

I'd use the cardboard overlays. They're thinner.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I don't think you need a bunch of road/rail or anything like that; the main issues are actual terrain.
Some of each will be very helpful on the neoprenes. Both roads and rails going to a terminus city would be very helpful where they would otherwise end at one mat edge without stretching into the next mat.

I'm an extreme outlier, but not alone, in neither owning nor desiring cardboard bits. I would also value having overlays in a matching material (could be thinner would be fine); and in this desire there may be more people. Whether or not there is a quorum of us for a minimum print run is the big question.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #7
CON_Troll

All I can tell you is that I would pay for neoprene overlay hexes. Something like the "Strategic and Tactical Objectives counter sheets 01" (Sponsored counter sheets from Tiffin Games.) Yeah, I'd pay $30+ bucks for that if it was on WH23.

Hmmm. Maybe a stretch goal for a future Kickstarter? Or did I just make Phil flinch? Sorry.

(#notsorry)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Misplaced Buckeye

Question and I ask this in all honesty. I've used the ODE mods with the neoprene and had not a concern, in fact the slightly thicker made for a more geomorphic look. Why the want for the neoprene versions which are much more expensive to create? Not arguing with your want just trying to figure out why.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #9
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Why the want for the neoprene versions which are much more expensive to create? Not arguing with your want just trying to figure out why.
Primarily I want the colours and textures of the material to go with each other.

Functionally, neoprene backed ones are completely non-skid sitting on top of fabric covered neoprene.

The cost difference between neoprene and cardboard overlays is not a factor for me when averaged out over the cost of a neoprene mat collection. We currently have 7 mats (and more to come). Current price is $30 apiece, the total set is $210 + various numbers of shipping costs added in. I have 2 full sets of the mats, somewhere around a $450 investment with shippings to date. I would buy neoprene overlays over using cardboard ones even if they were free.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Cat

First, my elevator pitch —

You're not sure if there is enough interest to support production of neoprene overlays. Hey, we've surprised you before! Remember the uncertainty over whether M1 would sell enough or not?

Now, the formal pitch —

Drew, and other illustrious Powers That Be:

Whereas, we now have a goodly sized, and growing, collection of mats that are not entirely geomorphic;

And whereas, the design plan was intended that they needed some overlay help to adjust a fair number of the possible layouts;

And whereas, it is the oft-stated desire of the Powers That Be and of the community as a whole to develop and publish scenarios to be played upon these mats;

And whereas, a set of overlays designed specifically to allow for a common standard for correcting irregularities in the geomorphic possibilities of mat layout would facilitate scenario design and playability by the whole community;

Then therefore, it is in the best interests of all that such a set of overlays be developed and made available to the community, within financial prudence to the Powers That Be.

If producing and selling a neoprene set of overlays designed for this purpose should prove to be financially imprudent, then providing a pdf version that community members may reproduce as they will on whatever desired material(s) they should choose would still be of great practicality to have a set of standardised overlays for scenario design.

Back to the elevator —

If a funding campaign for neoprene overlays falls short, then the pdf could still be released and we can go get our own printed individually at a higher cost.

Now I need to go get my second cuppa kava for the morning.
: 3