Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 09-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
NorphTehDwarf

Default So how exactly do people fight with scythes?

It seems like just about every imaginable medieval or even just vaguely medieval-ish RPG has stats for scythes. When I see 'scythe' I always picture the big two-handed affair used by the Grim Reaper and the Amish, and most secondary stats (weight, strength requirements, et cetera) seem to agree with me. I understand that it's possible to hit someone with such a contraption, but for the life of me I can't understand how it can do as much damage as most books assign to it.

Is there anyone here who can explain to me how a human being would fight with such a thing? If no one here can help me out I may have to reality check it, and I don't even know if Home Depot has a scythe section--and I'd like to keep all my extremities intact, too. So if you can explain how someone would use such a thing to lay the hurt down on anyone but himself, please, please do so.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: So how exactly do people fight with scythes?

Awesomely, preferably with a black, tattered cloak fluttering around you on a fierce wind, with swift attacks that leave ominous, silvery-or-red-or-black trails of gothic goodness behind them.

I don't think the inclusion of a scythe was ever meant to be, in anyway, realistic, but rather, stylistic.

(I'd imagine you'd fight with it something like a two-handed axe or a really awkward glaive. Mind you, there are some martial arts based on scythes, but those are vastly more practical one-handed little things)
Mailanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Awesomely, preferably with a black, tattered cloak fluttering around you on a fierce wind, with swift attacks that leave ominous, silvery-or-red-or-black trails of gothic goodness behind them.

I don't think the inclusion of a scythe was ever meant to be, in anyway, realistic, but rather, stylistic.

(I'd imagine you'd fight with it something like a two-handed axe or a really awkward glaive. Mind you, there are some martial arts based on scythes, but those are vastly more practical one-handed little things)
Pretty much this. I think that main reason for their inclusion is that Death and minions thereof often have them, and some players will whine if there isn't a rule for how fast they can kill you. Looking at the scythe I've got, if I had to hurt someone with it i think that I'd go for a hamstringing/leg crippling shot, then drop the thing and run for it.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Johnny Angel

Against an unskilled opponent (and probably many who are skilled) there's probably some amount of psychological warfare that goes along with using a scythe as well.

My thoughts on the subject are similar to Dal's. I could possibly see the scythe working as a tripping weapon of some sort.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Tommi_Kovala

In D&D 3e, scythes occupy what I call the Stupid Weapon category. Weapons of the Stupid type (or Bloody Stupid subtype) are exaggerated or fanciful versions of real-life objects or outright fantasy inventions. The spiked chain is another textbook example. Their stats can be all over the place, but as a rule, they all have inexplicably massive critical damage multipliers.
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Irish Wolf

"Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of, say, a peasant's revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome. Once its owner gets it weaving and spinning no-one - including the wielder - is quite certain where the blade is now and where it will be next."

- Terry Pratchett, Mort

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
NorphTehDwarf

Thanks, all. "Cool but useless" was kind of what I arrived at too, but I guess some part of the nerd hind-brain was hoping against hope that somewhere out there exist people who kick ass with agricultural implements poorly adapted to fighting.
are we allowed to say 'ass' here? ass ass ass ass ass
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi_Kovala View Post
In D&D 3e, scythes occupy what I call the Stupid Weapon category. Weapons of the Stupid type (or Bloody Stupid subtype) are exaggerated or fanciful versions of real-life objects or outright fantasy inventions. The spiked chain is another textbook example. Their stats can be all over the place, but as a rule, they all have inexplicably massive critical damage multipliers.
I used to think that too, but I could actually see a spiked chain being used. I always imagined (contrary to what the artwork showed) that there would be some area of the chain to serve as a handle. The method of using one could be similar to quite a few other weapons such as nunchaku, possibly the lasso, and various others. It would depend upon how it was designed. The way it is portrayed in the artwork -from what I remember- would make it virtually impossible to use without hurting yourself though. As hard as it is to believe, there actually are a few RL weapons which have somewhat of an analogy to the D&D spiked chain, but they're all somewhat obscure and finding someone who actually knows how to use them is more rare than actually finding the weapons.

As for the scythe... I can imagine it being used, but it seems as though it would be difficult to handle. I suppose someone who had a lot of experience with one (possibly via farming and harvesting crops) would have a nasty trick or two to employ during a fight. I still suspect that someone skilled with a sword or another martially designed implement would probably fair better than someone using a scythe though. Still, I could possible see someone with unusual training learning to use a scythe in a manner similar to a quarterstaff or possibly some sort of polearm.

I'm far from an expert on weapons; just spelling out how I imagine it in my head.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
Is there anyone here who can explain to me how a human being would fight with such a thing?
You take it to the village blacksmith and get him to straighten out the tang. Then you have a long single-edged blade on a middling-short handle, all more-or-less straight. A war scythe is similar to a fauchard.

It's a classic improvised weapon for peasant uprisings, particularly in Poland.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-24-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Having used one in real life, the only possible way I could see it working would be to try and chop the feet out from under the enemy. It is most definitely a cinematic weapon.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agricultural tools, scythes