Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1021
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Funny you should mention -- I just logged on to ask what Kane's Malakite resonance picks up from Dando. Sorry for the long, long delay ....
Well teeeeechnically Malakite resonance works on humans, and Dando isn't human. Still...can I trust the rest of the world not to peek?
Since if they're like me the unformatted version ends up in their mailboxes?
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #1022
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Well teeeeechnically Malakite resonance works on humans, and Dando isn't human. Still...can I trust the rest of the world not to peek?
Since if they're like me the unformatted version ends up in their mailboxes?
Not just on humans; canonically a Malakite can use it on a demon, since they detect a Balseraph on a CD6. (Likewise, APG gives an example of a Malakite's resonance detecting that a demon is seeking Redemption.) The CD chart simply refers to "person."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"

Last edited by Rocket Man; 12-30-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #1023
tHEhERETIC

LiveJournal is being fussy right now and I'm a bit meh to format this properly for now. (I have a ton of actually productive things I should be getting done.)

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/tHEhERETIC/rules.html

Lemme see if the text will show up here. But by request, how I handle the cards, TN's and CD's (when I'm not simply fudging it in the name of good story).
------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, I'd swear I wrote this somewhere...

The system I use for The Pacific War (and used for Mile Higher Club) is not canon In Nomine, but is an outgrowth of me tooling around with it and of me shedding WoD baggage. There's also the fact that back in the day I was a tarot reader -ahem- spiritual counselor with cards, and I have a couple of decks I like to play with. (By the way, if anyone knows where to get another copy of the Dessuart desert-themed deck, please point me at it. Mine is buried in storage.)

Someone asked me what system I used and I pointed her to my drafts of Red Queen, a LARP system I put together in all that above. It's unfinished and exists primarily as a set of notes, but testing it pointed me at what I do and do not like in a system.

Certainty: hate it. No action should be without risk, minus the very basic stuff that shouldn't be rolled at all. If you have to randomize, you should be able to succeed or fail, no matter how gloriously twinked your character is.

Wow, I haven't used “twink” as a verb in years.

Once I got my head around the check digit concept—considerable effort actually—I loved it. It separated whether one succeeded from how much, adding even more uncertainty.

So uncertainty and color are important to me, and color is why I reach for cards more often than dice, despite the mathematical hassles.

Let's take the fours in my trusty Thoth deck. Each four, in the check digit position, is a CD 2. --yawn-- But look at the titles: Completion. Truce. Power. Luxury. Talk about four wildly different concepts! I interpret those concepts within the context of the scene—are the characters powerful folks trying to make peace? Truce, a recognition that we've all got swords here, fits nicely. If I got Power in that scene though, the winner is seen as someone not to be messed with—sure, with a low CD the NPC's will be plotting his demise, but for now they fear him. Luxury the NPC's are just too damned lazy to mess with him, and Completion...maybe the poor sucker fits an NPC prophecy and that's why they're cooperating.

I've the sneaking suspicion this makes me creatively lazy. No matter. I have the Thoth for general purposes, the Vertigo for when I want things dark, and a Black Butler (anime) poker card deck that curiously gives me face cards a lot of the time. My favorite—which belongs to a friend of mine and is impossible to get AFAIK—is a Sin City deck that was only offered to the owners of comic book shops. The trade deck has characters on the face cards, this deck had one or two frames of the book on each and every card. Another one that, if you see it for sale, I beg you to point me at it.

So nuts and bolts:

Character vs Environment: I'm mostly on canon.
Determine a difficulty aka Target Number.
Draw two cards.
The first is a simple draw-under, halved if it's a Major Arcana.
The second card is the check digit, and Minors are halved and Majors quartered, rounding up as a rule. “As a rule” because if I had difficulty assigning the target number in the first place I'll keep that in mind.

Characters vs characters
Determine which stat is relevant—sometimes I leave that up to the player.
Draw two cards for each combatant.
The first card is added to the relevant stat, then the total compared to the other combatant's total. Higher number wins.
The second card is the check digit, and is halved or quartered to get it into In Nomine's CD scale.
A Queen is a victory no matter what else. God vs. mouse and if the mouse gets the Queen that god is on the run.

Characters vs multiple characters
Each combatant gets only one draw of two cards, with rare exceptions. The player then must allocate how much focus/power/whatever he's going to direct at which combatant.

Example: Dunderhead the Brave provokes four big scary guys, Mr. Red, Mr. Blue, Mr. Yellow and Mr. Pink. Now Dunderhead is strong, and if it was just he and Mr. Yellow it'd be no contest. However, he has to decide whether to use all his 9 Strength to wring Mr. Red's neck and hope Blue, Yellow, and Pink all get low check digits...or he could divide it 3, 3 and 3, figuring they're all wussies, and only Mr. Pink would get a free shot, since so far Pink can't hit the broadside of a barn.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #1024
Rocket Man

So does that make the Queen the equivalent of a Divine Intervention/Infernal Intervention, or is that handled differently?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #1025
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
So does that make the Queen the equivalent of a Divine Intervention/Infernal Intervention, or is that handled differently?
Two Queens is an intervention. On a poker deck, black queens are infernal, red queens are divine. On a tarot deck, I read the themes. And as you know, sometimes I use Invisible Castle dice, where the ambiguity is removed.

It is rather shocking how often one can draw two queens.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #1026
Dalillama

And yes, I am aware of how stunningly arrogant that sounds, given the context.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #1027
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
And yes, I am aware of how stunningly arrogant that sounds, given the context.
No worries. Actually I was waiting for Mitch/Puck (who just checked in) and Remiel/Mysteris to see whether they'd interfere with the incoming rock. I figure I'll watch for Mysteris for a few more hours (overnight over there) and then post.

The tension is insane.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #1028
Rocket Man

If you want, I can remove my own post and defer it until after Mysteris (and your esteemed self) respond.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #1029
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
If you want, I can remove my own post and defer it until after Mysteris (and your esteemed self) respond.
Awkward. The crashing rock would have taken a split second. The question is, the way I see it--between Glen letting supernature take its course (awesome turn of phrase BTW) and Mitch speaking in the past tense--did the rock smash the skull? Did the sword slice the belly?

And what, if anything, could Remiel have done about it in that split second?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #1030
Rocket Man

Then worry not; I've removed my post for the time being. Do what ye will. (A collective ye, by the way.)

Tags
in nomine