Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
KevinJ

Default Re: TFT Combat Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I suppose if they were written extremely clearly and completely and accurately and wit no points of confusion version the rule books, however, they could end up being really helpful . . . though I'm not sure how easy/hard that would be. However it seems to me that it's still not crystal clear what all the details of the original rules were, or what they will be, and I can imagine that one or two subtle unclear parts (let alone mistakes) on the cards could lead to a lot of (the card says this, but the rule is really this) details.

I'm just trying to be helpful, not to discourage the idea...
Are you familiar with the GURPS Combat Cards?
Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Mhmm, though if they aren't super-clear and accurate, they could introduce some new confusion. ...
Hi Skarg,
The thing is, most of the write ups for the options are one line long. On a combat card, this could be expanded to 10 sentences, and maybe include an example or two.

If done well, I could easily see this stomping out confusion.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Are you familiar with the GURPS Combat Cards?
I've seen them but never tried using them.

Taking another look now, it looks like they could be useful for people learning the game, but that they don't cover everything and have page refs to the full rules, which helps make it clear these are just handy summaries. Could be a good teaching aid for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
The thing is, most of the write ups for the options are one line long. On a combat card, this could be expanded to 10 sentences, and maybe include an example or two.

If done well, I could easily see this stomping out confusion.
Yeah, if done well, they could be great. I'm just mentioning the voice of caution that came up to me, remembering that TFT players are already split on interpretations of the particulars or TFT option what/when/hows.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:25 AM   #14
KevinJ

Quote:
I've seen them but never tried using them.

Taking another look now, it looks like they could be useful for people learning the game, but that they don't cover everything and have page refs to the full rules, which helps make it clear these are just handy summaries. Could be a good teaching aid for some people.

Yeah, if done well, they could be great. I'm just mentioning the voice of caution that came up to me, remembering that TFT players are already split on interpretations of the particulars or TFT option what/when/hows.
But are they split when it comes to the tacticle choices available in combat? A lot of people will say "Yay! TFT!" but the second they get the rules they will start house ruling because they are used to their existing house rules and RAW will just not be what they have been playing.

The point of the combat cards is to remind the players what their options are and if you need more clarification you can look something up when you're not in the middle of combat. It helps some with that guy, we all know him, who always seems shocked when it's his turn to act and has to ask what every option is and does. EVERY TURN OF EVERY COMBAT.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:29 AM   #15
JLV

After about the fourth session, I'm not sure I'd want to help that guy...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
Skarg

I can see they could be helpful for some people.

Not sure how much they'd help people with rules dyslexia (I'm imagining someone flipping through the cards on his turn as if he's never seen them before LOL), but if it helps someone, so much the better!

FWIW, what has worked for me (aside from playing with veteran players) is: unless the purpose of the session is to teach someone the game, I ask players who haven't mastered the rules what they want to do, tell them any considerations their character should know that they may not, translate what they want into rules, then let them roll the dice if they want to, and tell them what happened. That tends to work for me pretty much instantly and with little/no mention of rules mechanics (even in GURPS).

I also (FWIW) tend to set an expectation that players choose what to do right away when it's their turn. If that means their character does something stupid for a turn, all the more incentive to be ready next time. ;-)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #17
Wayne

We tried using GURPS cards - not worth the hassle unfortunately. But that was us, others may find them more useful.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
JLV

I kind of wondered if that might not be the case. Can you explain in a bit more detail why they weren't worth the hassle? That might help those of us less familiar with them better understand the pros and cons.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #19
Wayne

It took too m much time to sort through them to find the option you wanted.
The players never bothered it was faster to ask me as the GM what was allowable or even if not faster (because I'd have to look something up) it was easier.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #20
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
It took too m much time to sort through them to find the option you wanted.
The players never bothered it was faster to ask me as the GM what was allowable or even if not faster (because I'd have to look something up) it was easier.
Were they experienced 2nd or 3rd edition GURPS players or newbies? I've used them with several groups of people new to GURPS with good success, especially if they only ever played another widely available and popular, but poorly designed, game that only sometime involves role playing.