Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #11
tbeard1999

Default Re: Size of Melee Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Drving need here is to get the whole MELEE map on a legal sized sheet of paper so it goes in the box. Since there will be a PDF, players could print bigger ones.
The original Melee map (I think) was on a legal sized sheet of paper, so your hexes will likely be similar in size. Too bad, since that’s going to make them hard to use with miniatures that have 1 inch bases.

If you make battle mats, tiles, etc., please consider using hexes a bit larger than 1 inch. Of course, that would make them incompatible with the Melee map, so it may not be practicable.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:52 AM   #12
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
The original Melee map (I think) was on a legal sized sheet of paper...
Just measured; original Melee Map is 8 1/4" x 14"

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #13
Tolenkar

We used SJ's Cardboard Heroes because they were sized to fit the ITL hexes. I still have a bunch of these around. My miniature painting through the years has progressed to a high quality and I would love to be able to use 28mm figures instead. The .PDF option is really nice, Steve, since I have access to a laser cutter and would love to make appropriately sized MDF or acrylic dungeon tiles with it.

Yours in adventure,
Tolenkar
Tolenkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #14
Groknard

Quote:

If you make battle mats, tiles, etc., please consider using hexes a bit larger than 1 inch. Of course, that would make them incompatible with the Melee map, so it may not be practicable.
One of the things Steve showed me yesterday was how the dry erase megahexes could be used to expand from the edges of the upcoming Melee and Wizard maps, to build bigger and more complex boards that match areas of the colored map. So it's likely that the megahexes will be the same scale of the map for this reason.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #15
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
One of the things Steve showed me yesterday was how the dry erase megahexes...
Dry-Erase Megahexes... brilliant!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #16
Terquem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Drving need here is to get the whole MELEE map on a legal sized sheet of paper so it goes in the box. Since there will be a PDF, players could print bigger ones.
I can easily print my map on an 11x17 sheet
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #17
schoon

Quote:
I hope they go a bit larger. A 1 inch square or even circular base is cramped in a 25mm hex.
That's actually an excellent point.

Now that I dredge back in the pits of my memory, I recall that the Melee hexes were a bit small when things got crowded.

Perhaps 30mm is a happy medium.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #18
Groknard

Legal is 8.5" x 14", close to the original. Needs to comfortably fit 3 x 5 megahexes, and the scale needs to allow a 5 x 5 megahex map for the larger Wizard sheet (14" x 14"?). And both need to match the size of the components (counters and rules) and fold in such a way as to meet the packaging and shipping requirements. Scale any one element up or down, and everything else may need to be re-evaluated.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #19
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
One of the things Steve showed me yesterday was how the dry erase megahexes could be used to expand from the edges of the upcoming Melee and Wizard maps, to build bigger and more complex boards that match areas of the colored map. So it's likely that the megahexes will be the same scale of the map for this reason.
Well, maybe they’ll be able to work something out. Many (most?) fantasy roleplayers have a substantial investment in modern 28mm minis. And a 1 inch base is depressingly common.

I’d make every commercially reasonable effort to try to accommodate them, if I were SJG. A lack of interoperability with existing RPG gear may make folks far less willing to try TFT. (There’s already gonna be a bit of an issue with using hexes - that aren’t even the same scale as GURPS - so I hope that Steve will include a “how to play TFT with squares” appendix. That will be so much better than relying on the fan base to come up with something IMHO.

As an aside, in 1981, 25mm miniatures were much closer to true 25mm. Most had small bases - 1/2-3/4 inches. The Cardboard Heroes have a comparable footprint to the miniatures available at the time. Even 19mm hexes were adequate for such miniatures. Everything has just gotten bigger since then.

Last edited by tbeard1999; 06-15-2018 at 11:39 AM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
schoon

...though with the prevalence of laser cutters today, there's nothing that would prevent you from making your own megahaxes at whatever scale you want.

In MDF they would be quite economical.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote