Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
luguvalium

Default Casting spells slowly

A new player using a beginning wizard was frustrated by the large number of attempted spells that failed. His DX was mid-range; it was just a series of bad rolls. He asked me if there would be a bonus if he tried to cast them slowly.

I remembered the optional rule "Waiting for an Opening" rules in Advanced Melee, p20, Where a missile weapon user can get a +1DX for waiting one turn, and a +2DX for waiting two turns. Should this optional rule be extended to include wizards casting spells?
luguvalium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
ecz

Default Re: Casting spells slowly

Young wizards have this problem. Low DX is the price to have high IQ and a decent ST.

But an apprenctice wizard could offer help for a few coins/day. ST10 DX 13 and IQ9.

with a well placed aid spell to increase DX at the right moment he can save his master's day.

This is how in his early days the greatest wizard of all our CGs solved the problem of the low DX
Old 07-13-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by luguvalium View Post
A new player using a beginning wizard was frustrated by the large number of attempted spells that failed. His DX was mid-range; it was just a series of bad rolls. He asked me if there would be a bonus if he tried to cast them slowly.

I remembered the optional rule "Waiting for an Opening" rules in Advanced Melee, p20, Where a missile weapon user can get a +1DX for waiting one turn, and a +2DX for waiting two turns. Should this optional rule be extended to include wizards casting spells?
Hi Luguvalium, everyone.
I see no reason not to. We have played it that way for decades.

Rick
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
Skarg

The general logic makes some sense, and could be fun.

However it will throw off the balance of some spells, so be advised.

In particular, all spells which are not being cast in combat, will now be much more likely to work, reducing the amount of fatigue needed to cast spells due to fewer failures. Also, spells that give different results on a failure will also be more effective unless the GM rules those spells can't be cast this way (e.g. Detect Magic/Life/Foes).

But also, there will be new tactics such as "Ok, before we attack, Zaboofle will spend X turns slowly casting his spell, so he'll get maximum bonus on the turn we start the attack...".
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
But also, there will be new tactics such as "Ok, before we attack, Zaboofle will spend X turns slowly casting his spell, so he'll get maximum bonus on the turn we start the attack...".
Waiting for an opening is limited to +2 and if you can manage to control the initiation of combat to such a fine extent, you deserve the bonus!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #6
Rick_Smith

Quote:
... But also, there will be new tactics such as "Ok, before we attack, Zaboofle will spend X turns slowly casting his spell, so he'll get maximum bonus on the turn we start the attack...".
Hi Skarg, everyone.
That is why it is better to be the AMBUSHER and not the AMBUSHEE.

;-D

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 AM   #7
Chris Rice

I always alllowed this as it seemed perfectly reasonable.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Skarg

Seems to me that (if you care about it) you might consider making spending 10 extra seconds the norm for non-combat spells, and applying penalty for using less. Otherwise you increase the reliability of all non-combat spells by +2. (The hobgoblin apprentice guild will be thrilled, as will non-wizards.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
zot

Quote:
Seems to me that (if you care about it) you might consider making spending 10 extra seconds the norm for non-combat spells, and applying penalty for using less. Otherwise you increase the reliability of all non-combat spells by +2. (The hobgoblin apprentice guild will be thrilled, as will non-wizards.)
Something along those lines crossed my mind as well. You could make certain spells -2 DX to cast as an "economic incentive" to spend 2 turns in preparation...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #10
Rick_Smith

Quote:
For a while I had a pretty nasty magic backlash table for if a wizards rolled a critical miss. But spells that were cast slowly and carefully (three times longer than the normal casting time), DID NOT roll on this table.

The PC's appreciated not having to roll, but in combat ... well on critical failures that table still saw use.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-13-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect word.