Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
EbilSteebi

Default Re: The Worst Rule in TFT/Melee/Wizard

[QUOTE=Rick_Smith;2187540]Hi farbror,

In my campaign, I've split Illusion up into regular illusions (which do real damage) but can be of a limited number of things, and phantasmals, which don't do real damage but are flexible and can be of anything.

Wouldn't that just be an image spell then?
EbilSteebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
Rick_Smith

>> Discussing Phantasms, which don't do real damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbilSteebi View Post
Hi EbilSteebi.
I don't want to post the full Phantasmal rules here, but a brief summary...

-- Phantasmals can be disbelieved.
-- They can do damage, but if the phantasmal is disbelieved, the damage it did (to everyone) is disbelieved.
-- If you are killed by a phantasmal, you think you are dead (and so fall into a coma), but are not really killed. You can't be woken until the Phantasmal is disbelieved by anyone, or the spell expires.

The rules are written so that Phantasmals are best at distracting and fooling people, but generally if you want to fight, you are better off with standard Illusions. There are deliberately enough restrictions on Phantasmals that they are not best for fights.

Additionally the flexibility of Phantasmals, requires a higher IQ than a normal Illusion, and the fatigue ST cost is one higher.

The advantage of Phantasmals is that they can be of ANYTHING.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-29-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #13
zot

[QUOTE=EbilSteebi;2187554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi farbror,

In my campaign, I've split Illusion up into regular illusions (which do real damage) but can be of a limited number of things, and phantasmals, which don't do real damage but are flexible and can be of anything.

Touching an image breaks the spell. You have to disbelieve an illusion to get rid of it.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #14
ecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Do you mean 2 ST (since 1 ST is unconscious)?

Oh, that reminds me of a weak point in the rules, which is not defining what someone can do if they are down to 1 ST after combat, if anything (i.e. are they in a coma or can they talk, walk, run, use any talents, and if they can walk, can they do anything in combat?).

Also rules for dragging around bodies (live, dead, bound, and/or unwilling) would be good to have.

This sounds like as long as you've got a physicker helping, no one would ever die, no?
about coma: we changed rules also here, 1ST still up with penalties to DX. At zero ST inconscious .

about the Physicker to save heros below zero: yes they are helpful, like an healing potion handy, but it's not automatic (unlike potions). The GM assign a roll 4d/DX (or 5d/DX for very serious wounds) to the phyicker. if he fails the hero below zero hits dies in any case.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
larsdangly

Hmm...I don't agree with most of this stuff, but there is no accounting for taste in these matters.

The only two core rules I think is are significantly messed up are:

- Range penalties for thrown weapons are absurdly too high. You have to be an expert marksman to hit someone with a javelin more than a half dozen yards away. Go out in your back yard, pace off a half dozen yards and look at it.

- The risk roll for jobs is too easy to 'game' into something that outstrips experience as a way of advancing. (Counterpoint: I've played this game often for ~40 years and run statistical models of how risk rolls work, and I'm convinced the main way you use them to become a superman is by cheating. You are quite likely to get killed by any job that lets you advance quickly yet somehow you never seem to hear people's stories about dying on the job...)
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #16
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
- Range penalties for thrown weapons are absurdly too high. You have to be an expert marksman to hit someone with a javelin more than a half dozen yards away. Go out in your back yard, pace off a half dozen yards and look at it.

- The risk roll for jobs is too easy to 'game' ...
Hi Larsdangly, everyone.
I've seen a few people die of risk rolls. Not very interesting stories tho.

I agree with you about the thrown weapon ranges. But the rule, "-1 DX per hex" is too easy to dump. I would suggest a new rule...

IQ 9
Expert Thrower (1)
, requires Thrown Weapons. If you attack with a thrown weapon, reduce the range by 3 hexes. Does not work with thrown spells.

Warm regards, rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
larsdangly

I think thrown weapons should be -1 per full HM and missiles -1 per 4 (or so) full MH. But what do I know...
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote