Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
zot

Default Technomages

This is really a fork of Rick Smith's "Cidri Splat Book" subsection of his "New Adventures for TFT" thread. Rather than post a fork-of-a-fork in that thread, I thought a new thread might be good for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone,
The Cidri background was supposed to have high tech and mechanical artifacts, but this idea was not well developed. There was Advanced Wizard which gave us a tonne of spells, potions and magic times. But there was no supplement that gave us a similar collection of artifacts and rules for mechanicers.

I think that a supplement that gave a couple dozen mechanical wonders, some guidelines on how the GM should game a mechanicer figuring these things out and some discussion on finding them would be very useful for those interested in the Cidri game background. What is the economics of rare artifacts? If the supplement also gave more things for Mechanicers to do, it would be cool.

What are people's thoughts?

Warm regards, Rick.
To start off, I thought I'd mention that Mngineers in my priest system are all mechanicians and can build quasi-technological gadgets using "psytites" for power and control. Here's a link to the Mngineer section.

I need to flesh out their background a bit more but the idea is that the availability of both technology and magic should allow combining the two (particularly since magic is involved). Mngineers are basically technomages and kind of happened serendipitously when I was thinking about what to do for a second religion. Either way, I do feel ceremonial magic to be more appropriate for building things than turn-based magic (magic item creation seems to be another form of ceremonial magic).

So, if you have thoughts on Mngineers or thoughts about other kinds of technomages, let's hear them!

Last edited by zot; 06-28-2018 at 06:09 AM. Reason: writing style
zot is offline   Reply With Quote