Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #31
Tolenkar

Default Re: Interviewing the Fans #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How did you use TFT, back in the day? Stand-alone combat games, combat module for other RPGs, or a full RPG system of its own?
Greetings, all:

My best friend and I were in a hobby store, in 1978, looking at micro-games. He chose Wizard and I purchased Melee. We then spent untold hours creating characters and running through both games until the rules were burned into our teenage psyche. We introduced a few of our friends to the rules during lunch, long bus rides, or after school. Melee was especially easy to teach others and addictive: "let me try my elf archer against your armored dwarf one more time".
After that, we created small parties and took them through Death Test and Death Test II.

I remember the pain of waiting impatiently for the Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, and ITL books to come out. I can still recall the sheer joy when I opened the envelope for Advanced Melee in July of 1980 (a glorious day). My friend already had a D&D group and basically just shifted over to TFT. We recruited the other friends that had tried Melee or Wizard and pretty much every other Friday night for the next two years were dedicated to playing TFT. It became a large group that had ten players, at its peak, for many adventures. After high school, we would get together to play during college break and summers.

There are eight of us now. We have had a couple of great reunion adventures, including one to replay, and finally survive, Tolenkar's Lair. The announcement of Steve getting the rights to the game got us all talking again, and we plan to get together sometime next year, with new copies of the rules.

Although we used the micro games as a training ground for the rules, it was always about the RPG system for us. It is simple to learn, has complexity and depth for mastery, and gives great flexibility for creating incredibly imaginative characters. In a nut shell: It has kept us young for 40 years. For this, TFT will always have a special place on my gaming shelf (actually, on my wall... I framed a copy of Advanced Melee and hung it in the game room).

Sincerely,
Tolenkar

Last edited by Tolenkar; 06-13-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Tolenkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:20 PM   #32
pyratejohn

Back in the day we did it all - a stand alone combat game, an alternate combat system, and full out TFT:ITL rpging.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #33
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
How did you use TFT, back in the day? Stand-alone combat games, combat module for other RPGs, or a full RPG system of its own?
I ran TFT as a stand alone RPG in my own created worlds. I even ran it during Basic Training using carboard chits with numbers on them instead of dice (we weren't allowed to have dice). I ran it mostly from memory and good times were had by all. Well, better times that normal for basic training.

I'm currently using a house ruled version for a game world made maps for back in the mid 80s (I can tell by the German Graph paper it is drawn on). And the campaign idea of the characters not being human dates from the late 90s. Everything else is new, like the cosmology.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #34
ColBosch

Stand-alone combat scenarios, almost exclusively. While I played Ogre for most of my life, my brother and I only got into roleplaying after GURPS was released, so we used that for RPG sessions. But whenever we just wanted some hack-and-slash, we broke out Melee and Wizard.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote