Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip in The Stone Age

Bases on the comments of The Colonel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Essentially every game becomes a wilderness survival adventure.
and Steve,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
...And the tribe would look down severely on anyone who dueled in a risky way; every member is precious.
I can envision a TFT-based Neolithic-era version of Avalon Hill's: Outdoor Survival as perhaps an expansion game simulation - which could be played as a stand-alone, and, functioning doubly as a TFT rules supplement to bring the fantastical option of wizards with megahex freeze and avert spells battling dinosaurs, or Orc's flying into battle atop saddled Pterodactyls into a TFT campaign; for those who might like to mix together Stone-Age with the traditional Fantasy Trip setting.

That's part of what is wonderful about when ERB's talent met a typewriter, with the willing suspension-of-disbelief, anything is plausible and possible.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-06-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Bases on the comments of The Colonel and Steve, I can envision a TFT-based Neolithic-era version of Avalon Hill's: Outdoor Survival as perhaps an expansion game simulation - which could be played as a stand-alone, and, functioning doubly as a TFT rules supplement to bring the fantastical option of wizards with megahex freeze and avert spells battling dinosaurs, or Orc's flying into battle atop saddled Pterodactyls into a TFT campaign; for those who might like to mix together Stone-Age with the traditional Fantasy Trip setting.

JK
My research shows they had various crude machines and such..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-MnvKIqb8
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
My research shows they had various crude machines and such.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-MnvKIqb8
LOL! Kirk, check your PM box.

JK
Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
LOL! Kirk, check your PM box.

JK
I saw your message, sent reply.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
larsdangly

I have an elaborate set of house rules for Wilderness Adventure in TFT, where I use the basic structure of movement and action in TFT combat as the basis for describing how characters navigate complex landscapes. It is pretty fun. I was thinking of uncorking it on the internet community once the new version of TFT is published, but if people are interested I could circulate a draft by dropbox or something.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
marctabyanan

Every time I go to Hawaii I think about setting a campaign there, as if the white man never came and Magic was real... The weapons would be similar, with no metals but using shark teeth. The Polynesian society was actually much more advanced than Stone Age, though. Not exactly apples to apples, Jim, but still an interesting take on something besides more Lord of the Rings-type fantasy... good post.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:24 PM   #17
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I have an elaborate set of house rules for Wilderness Adventure in TFT.... if people are interested I could circulate a draft by dropbox or something.
Lars, I would love to see your work, I have sent you a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marctabyanan View Post
... weapons would be similar, with no metals but using shark teeth...
Yes, I am currently fascinated with the idea of the whole idea of "Stone & Bone" weapons and wood/reed thatched shields, and all manner of pre-Bronze Age *stuff*.

I feel the need to watch Quest for Fire right now.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 06-08-2018 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Combined posts
Old 06-08-2018, 01:30 AM   #18
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I have an elaborate set of house rules for Wilderness Adventure in TFT, where I use the basic structure of movement and action in TFT combat as the basis for describing how characters navigate complex landscapes. It is pretty fun. I was thinking of uncorking it on the internet community once the new version of TFT is published, but if people are interested I could circulate a draft by dropbox or something.
Please do! I'm always looking for clever ideas on how to better handle that! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:56 AM   #19
KevinJ

Aside from the technology differences, the Talent list would need to be pared down to remove the talents based on specific technologies. Smithing wouldn't exist, but leather crafts, flint knapping, and weaving for wicker would be very useful. A bronze, or even copper, axe would be seen as nearly magical, since a sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

When it comes to culture, terrain and climate become very important and migration due to changes in climate (Think little ice age during the years of the Black Death) or habitat (wildfires burning down the forest after a prolonged period of not having fires, prolonged dought, or prolonged flooding) could be a big thing in a given campaign. And all without horses or oxen...