Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-25-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
RiccardoAt

Default Some Questions

(sorry for my english)

1) If I have to discard an Item (for example after "Curse! Lose 1 Small Item"), can I discard an item (potion or weapon) that I have in my hand?

2) If I have to discard cards for activate, for example "flight spell" of wizard (or theft fot thief), can I discard ANY card I have on the table or in my hand?

3) If I have a curse that disappears when I win a combat and I "win" a combat with a special card (for example "Out to lunch"), my curse disappears?

4) from rules:"Dead characters cannot receive cards for any reason, not even Charity, and
cannot level up or win the game.
When the next player begins his turn, your new character appears and can
help others in combat with his Level and Class or Race abilities . . . but you
have no cards, unless you receive Charity or gifts from other players."
So, If I died in my turn and when the next player begins I'm already alive, when exactly i can't recive card, charity,etc....

Thank u very much :)
RiccardoAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Some Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiccardoAt View Post
1) If I have to discard an Item (for example after "Curse! Lose 1 Small Item"), can I discard an item (potion or weapon) that I have in my hand?
No. Cards in your hand cannot be targeted unless the effect explicitly says so.

Quote:
2) If I have to discard cards for activate, for example "flight spell" of wizard (or theft fot thief), can I discard ANY card I have on the table or in my hand?
Unless the ability specifies where the discards must originate, any card may be used.

Quote:
3) If I have a curse that disappears when I win a combat and I "win" a combat with a special card (for example "Out to lunch"), my curse disappears?
If the curse says you must kill a monster, then that's what you have to do. If it just says you have to win a combat, any method of escaping combat other than Running Away will work.

Quote:
4) from rules:"Dead characters cannot receive cards for any reason, not even Charity, and
cannot level up or win the game.
When the next player begins his turn, your new character appears and can
help others in combat with his Level and Class or Race abilities . . . but you
have no cards, unless you receive Charity or gifts from other players."
So, If I died in my turn and when the next player begins I'm already alive, when exactly i can't recive card, charity,etc....
If you die on your turn, you cannot loot the body of any other player who dies or otherwise obtain cards, even if you otherwise would be able to, until the end of your turn. At the start of the next player's turn, you are alive again and those restrictions are lifted.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Items are not Items until they are put into play. Cards in your hand, regardless of what they may represent when in play, are only cards. The only exception is when a card effect says otherwise. For example, if a Curse said that you must discard all Item cards in your hand of a certain value or greater, then you'd have no choice but to discard Item cards from your hand in that instance.

Quote:
The general rules* is that an ability powered by discards may be powered by any card in your hand or from those in play, except the card that gives you that ability (i.e., you can not discard your Thief class to steal an Item from another player, though you could discard a Thief card from your hand to do so). Since cards override the rules, abilities that say something different (e.g., Wizard's charm spell, and Cleric's resurrection) obviously override that general rule.

Quote:
There's a difference between winning the combat and killing a Monster. We do state in the FAQ that you "win" if you didn't have to Run Away. I'm looking up Out To Lunch to make sure that would count as a defeat of the Monsters.

Quote:
4) from rules:"Dead characters cannot receive cards for any reason, not even Charity, and cannot level up or win the game. When the next player begins his turn, your new character appears and can help others in combat with his Level and Class or Race abilities . . . but you have no cards, unless you receive Charity or gifts from other players."

If it was your turn, then not much is likely to happen, except in one case, which I'll return to in a moment. However, let us say that it wasn't your turn, you chose to help a player who has a higher level and you both lost the combat. He successfully ran away from whatever Monster killed you, but you did not, so you are dead. If the other player has extra cards in his hand, and you're lowest Level, or at least tied for it, you can not receive any of the cards from him as Charity because you are dead until his turn ends. Another example: You are in combat, it doesn't matter whose turn it is, and you both die. You don't get to loot the corpse of the other player because you're dead.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
MunchkinMan

Hmmm. Andrew got a post in during my Internet troubles (my post has been waiting 20 minutes to go through!) So, I'll skip my research on Out To Lunch.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
RiccardoAt

Thank you very much :) Maybe with this forum my and my friends will stop to fight for hours about rules.... maybe :)
RiccardoAt is offline   Reply With Quote