Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #21
Dalin

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Until last night, I always thought that magical silence would prevent spellcasting unless you had a spell at skill 20+. For some reason, I read it as "You must speak a word or two and make a small gesture" when it is really "or." I guess I've rarely played magical characters with skills less than 15 so I was mixing up the categories.

(It was helpful for my cleric to be able to cast some spells in a magically silenced elven glade in last night's DFRPG session.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #22
Gollum

Default Re: What are some GURPS rules you didn't know or understand for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
There are a couple of Techniques that buy off the cap, so precedent.
Yes. As ever, with GURPS, there are several ways to rule a given situation. Some wich involve training (techniques, perks, etc.) and some that every character can try, but with some penalties or restrictions (all-out attack).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #23
Plane

I'm still trying to get my head around Thaumatology's 2 options of Effect Shaping or Energy Accumulating.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I'm still trying to get my head around Thaumatology's 2 options of Effect Shaping or Energy Accumulating.
I found that using Ritual Path Magic (Energy Accumulation) and DF 19 Incantation Magic (Effect Shaping) rather explained them perfectly well...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
Extrarius

I just recently decided I want to play a Grappler, and it's taken a lot of work reading all over the Basic Set and Martial Arts to get the whole picture of what situations allow which grappling actions. I'm still not sure I understand it all. In the end I'm going to try Fantastic Dungeon Grappling first, and maybe I'll get back to RAW wrestling if my character isn't up to par with FDG.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:10 AM   #26
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
There's a rule that I knew and understood from the beginning, but didn't really understand how it reflects reality until a looong discussion here on these forums, and that's how SM applies in combat. In essence, I was convinced that it only makes sense for relative SM (or SM difference) to apply, but I was convinced otherwise.
I was also just now convinced otherwise. Now that I really think about it, it makes sense that ranged attacks only factor in absolute target SM, especially after reading Combat Writ Large in Pyramid #3/77: Combat. How could an antperson have so much trouble hitting another antperson? At least, that's what I thought in the past. But they would also only be hitting each other from millimeters or centimeters away! Per the article, that would add a bonus since it's closer than "Close Combat" (even though it's ranged combat for the antpeople). In the end, it still works out in a relative manner, but it takes the right approach to get there.

Relative attacker and target SM in melee combat. Absolute target SM in ranged combat.

I've seen the light.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #27
Nose66

LOL, it would take up too much space to list all of the rules we didn't know well, or used incorrectly. ;-)

I created a "cheat sheet" to help me play. After 3 years, we are on version 4.8. I now print it out double sided color, laminate it and give one to each player.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #28
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius View Post
I just recently decided I want to play a Grappler, and it's taken a lot of work reading all over the Basic Set and Martial Arts to get the whole picture of what situations allow which grappling actions. I'm still not sure I understand it all.
Any particular situations stand out as more confusing?

Quote:
In the end I'm going to try Fantastic Dungeon Grappling first, and maybe I'll get back to RAW wrestling if my character isn't up to par with FDG.
RAW wrestling eh?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #29
Dalin

Quote:
I just recently decided I want to play a Grappler, and it's taken a lot of work reading all over the Basic Set and Martial Arts to get the whole picture of what situations allow which grappling actions.
I forgot about grappling. Yeah, I just learned the RAW grappling rules last year after playing various forms of GURPS for nearly 25 years.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #30
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Relative attacker and target SM in melee combat. Absolute target SM in ranged combat.
Indeed. And if you want to read someone's nerdy commentary on why things work that way, I offer this. (All exposition that nobody needs, but hey, there it is.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules