Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #51
malchidael

Default Re: Current play?

Discussing the battlemats issue - I'm going to repost Ty Beard's post of a while back where he shares his megahex maps that can be printed at local office supply shops that print blueprints for something like $11 for a b&w laminated map. They're not as pretty as the Chessex maps, and the lamination is rather thick, but it works.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #52
larsdangly

That's helpful. I find the Chessex maps worth the extra 20 bucks money because they are bigger and pretty nicely made, but I could see getting a set of these printed up.

I realized SJG doesnt offer the MH tiles as an add on to any of the active backerkit options, so I'll have to just wait for the next relevant KS to drop...
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #53
larsdangly

The party in my current campaign had its first encounter with a gnarly troll in our last session, and it was one of the funner encounters I've experienced at the table in some time.

The group was feeling pretty cocky because they've reached the plateau in stat totals where you feel like a grown-up (~37 points, total). And, I think they got a bit caught up in the fun of moving the chits around an extended MH tile map. In any event, they let themselves get a bit spread out and the party's thief separated from the party and wandered down a tunnel without a torch, drifting toward a nook that had a ST 45 troll tucked away in a back corner. Just then the dice turned against him, yielding a fumbled sneak roll (I decided he tripped and fell to his knees in the dark), followed by an uncharacteristic failed listen roll. He found himself face to face with a 3-hex monster that could murder him in 1 turn...

I can't really reconstruct how he got out of that in one piece, but he ended up sprinting through the dark back to the party with a troll hot on his heels, leading to a confused engagement where the party's wizard threw up a curtain of fire, only to have two party members shoved into it, and then one of the fighters fumbled his DX save when shoved and ended up falling into a stream and getting stomped almost to death. The whole thing was going pear shaped when one of the characters got off a shot with a horse pistol (a house ruled weapon in my campaign) that caught the thing's attention and sent it skittering back into the darkness. The party decided discretion was the better part of valor and legged it for the dungeon entrance.

Strangely, no one died on either side, but the players came away as rattled as I've seen them in this campaign, and at a loss as to how they should go about another foray into this place. My bet is that they move on, looking for easier pickings somewhere else.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #54
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I realized SJG doesnt offer the MH tiles as an add on to any of the active backerkit options, so I'll have to just wait for the next relevant KS to drop...
Decks of Destiny includes new megahexes and we'll offer extras of the new designs as an add-on. Please follow the Warehouse 23 account on Kickstarter for notification when the project launches:

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/warehouse23/created
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:56 AM   #55
larsdangly

I'll be galloping into the Decks of Destiny kickstarter as soon as it launches!
Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #56
Original_Carl

I finally convinced my wife to play Melee with me the other night. We did a 4 on 4 game, drawing from the hero deck at random. I rolled well, she didn’t.

We played another game. This time I put out the remaining cards and let her pick. Again, I rolled well. Even better than the last game, and the game was over in only a few rounds.

She was not amused, and isn’t interested in playing again anytime soon. It’s breaking my heart. I really wanted to play this system with her and I think I may have damaged my first chance to win her over.

Can you think of some ways to reintroduce Melee to someone who had a bad experience? Any must-play scenarios that could win over a reluctant participant?
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #57
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
I finally convinced my wife to play Melee with me the other night. We did a 4 on 4 game, drawing from the hero deck at random. I rolled well, she didn’t.

We played another game. This time I put out the remaining cards and let her pick. Again, I rolled well. Even better than the last game, and the game was over in only a few rounds.

She was not amused, and isn’t interested in playing again anytime soon. It’s breaking my heart. I really wanted to play this system with her and I think I may have damaged my first chance to win her over.

Can you think of some ways to reintroduce Melee to someone who had a bad experience? Any must-play scenarios that could win over a reluctant participant?
Yes. Play Death Test cooperatively using two figures each. If both of the other persons figures are killed, give them one of yours. My wife likes these games but not when we go head to head, so coop is the way to go.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #58
JLV

I totally agree with Chris here -- I try NEVER introduce a new player via head-to-head competition unless they are a serious "competitive" player and the desire to WIN is really important to them (it motivates them for a return engagement). Especially in a game as "fatal" as TFT is...

Another thing to do is to put totally new players (those who haven't played an RPG before) up against creatures -- not other characters -- so that they can feel like they aren't "murdering" someone; if they're fighting a Komodo Dragon, or a giant insect that attacks them (avoid "cute" mammals too, initially), they seem to find that a more "acceptable" loss if they do lose, and it doesn't make them "feel bad" that they "killed" someone if they win.

I know it seems weird to say those things to most of us, but that's been my personal experience in dealing with totally new-to-RPG players, especially many women who seem to just be a bit more acculturated against interpersonal violence than most of the guys I know have been... Eventually they all learn that it's just cardboard and doesn't actually mean anything, but you have to deal with the attitudes before you can get there, and the best way to do that is respectfully.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #59
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
Oh wow, I too played Melee with my wife for the first time a few days ago.

However, I decided to handicap myself by giving her 3 hero cards to my 2. She ended up beating me, so I think that helped.

It was funny though because she gets intimidated playing competitively with me. She was trying to catch any seemingly unfair advantage or roll I seemed to get even though I knew she could ease up with the asymmetry in her favor.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:48 AM   #60
hcobb

Played with family yesterday. Lost one of three randomly selected heroes while taking out two giants. Flanking the giants turned out to be the decisive move.