Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #21
RobKamm

Default Re: Most trivial quirk, most useful perk, least useful perk, and most severe quirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
Dislikes Carrots is an EXPLICITLY allowed quirk, check B164 under dislikes.
In GURPS rules and examples are both subject to GM approval for the setting. "Dislikes carrots" wouldn't qualify as a perk in a GURPS: Star Frontiers game (there are no carrots) but might be a actual disadvantage in a Bunnies & Burrows game (where it might be a combination of Restricted Diet and Social Stigma).
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Tallor

Default Re: Most trivial quirk, most useful perk, least useful perk, and most severe quirk.

One of my favorites of all time is Weapon Bond for knight-like characters, since I find it thematically appropriate that they've become a master with their ancestral, inherited weapon.
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #23
starslayer

I can't think of any nice guy character I have built who does not have broadminded.

I generally prefer likes quirks to dislike quirks as I find they do a better job of defining the PC.

Depending on the setting classic features can be pretty useful -classic features : athlete, academic, gymnast, or cheerleader is going to get its applicable bonus very often in a university setting, as well as making it easier to become (and remain) part of those groups.

As far as perks - high heeled heroin , or 'suited hero' allows you to claim the +1 appearance level from using fashion sense while still being capable of participating in athletic or stealthy activity.

Accessory can be really potent.

The combo of weapon bond and named weapon is great.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It depends on your game, but in the right genres weapon bond can be a really powerful perk.

Least powerful perk is probably one of those cinematic clothing perks.
Who wants to be a shapeshifter always naked post change? That's going to cause all sorts of problems and difficulty in maintaining secrets.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Trivial: Classic Features (probably not worth its cost), Pants-Positive Safety, No Hangover, Pet.
I'd pay for Pet just so I could feel justified in socking a GM that endangers Captain Fluffy Bottoms.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #26
Anders

My character in an upcoming AtE campaign has a Maine Coon with him, called King (because he's lazy and entitled). You can be damn sure I'm buying the Pet perk for him - the post-Apocalypse is no safe place for a cat!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
My character in an upcoming AtE campaign has a Maine Coon with him, called King (because he's lazy and entitled). You can be damn sure I'm buying the Pet perk for him - the post-Apocalypse is no safe place for a cat!
My mom lost a cat to coyotes not that long ago, and she's barely in the wooded area miles from the Portland metro area of Oregon.
The smaller you are, the more dangerous the world is.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #28
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I can't think of any nice guy character I have built who does not have broadminded.
Yeah, Broad-Minded and Chauvinist are so broad that I can interpret basically any character I've ever played regardless of his overall attitudes as having one or both for one or two free points depending on whether or not the GM deems them mutually exclusive.

Tags
perks, quirks