Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #131
Hide

Default Re: Pyramid #3/120: Alternate GURPS V

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yes. You can see the tabulation of them in the cheat sheet posted above.
I see, so you employ severity modifiers instead of the damage multipliers? (i.e. using impaling x2 no longer applies here). I don't quite grasp this part right now.

Thanks for your comments!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #132
dataweaver

It's the exponent-based nature of the Conditional Injury system: multiplication becomes addition. And if GURPS had any squares or square roots in damage calculations, they'd become doubling or halving, respectively.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #133
Plane

One thing I couldn't see adderssed was the new forms of Injury Tolerance in Powers, as only the Basic Set ones were mentioned.

My assumption based on how Vulnerability was treated (pg change Wound multipliers to Severity adds) is probably the reverse, to change wound divisors to Severity minuses.

MA137 also has veins/arterties increase wounding modifier to convert penetrating damage into injury when targeting limbs/neck, how do we incorporate that as a Severity Modifier?

Another consideration is the MA138 "Severe Bleeding" rules and how they would interact with pg32-33 "Bleeding" rules. MA138 has a penalty to HT roll to stop bleeding from lost ears/noses which are locations the Conditional Injury system did not address, any chance of errata to incorporate them?

Bleeding rolls are also made twice as often if the neck is cut, Vitals also once per 30 seconds, and a -4 (cutting) or -3 (other) from Veins/Arteries bleeding.

The FP loss system is only once per minute... to make that more interesting could it be done on a per 30 seconds basis for those locations?

Or if we wanted to have it be a little more moment-by-moment, perhaps blood loss could steal Action Points by merging with Last Gasp? If it happened at a fast enough rate then even if someone was using a "Do Nothing" to get a +4 to HT rolls to recover AP, they shouldn't be able to make back the AP fast enough to keep at maximum to compensate for the continual loss of AP which would eventually force burning an AP to bring it up to par.

This would also help discourage fighting (which makes sense, high blood pressure from limb-pumping probably makes wound clotting harder) when trying to not bleed to death.

Would also be good if there is some kind of way to mitigate the blood (AP/FP) loss by putting pressure on a wound. Even if you can't totally stop the bleeding, you could slow it down.

Since the Fatigue Point Maximum actually decreases temporarily, decreasing the Action Point Maximum would seem like one way to guarantee that your FP would eventually drop. Except make it so once AP maximum reaches 0, it resets back to 50% maximum AP in exchange for lowering max FP by one.

Last edited by Plane; 06-01-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 AM   #134
dataweaver

Yes. Division by 2 becomes -2, division by 3 becomes -3, division by 4 or 5 becomes -4, division by 6, 7, or 8 becomes -5, division by 9, 10, 11, or 12 becomes -6, division by 13 through 17 becomes -7, division by 18 through 25 becomes -8, division by 26 through 35 becomes -9, division by 36 through 55 becomes -10, division by 56 through 85 becomes -11, and division by by 86 through 125 becomes -12. Every order of magnitude in the divisor is another -6.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #135
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Yes.
Division by 2 becomes -2,
division by 3 becomes -3,
division by 4 or 5 becomes -4,
division by 6, 7, or 8 becomes -5,
division by 9, 10, 11, or 12 becomes -6,
division by 13 through 17 becomes -7,
division by 18 through 25 becomes -8,
division by 26 through 35 becomes -9,
division by 36 through 55 becomes -10,
division by 56 through 85 becomes -11,
and division by by 86 through 125 becomes -12.
Every order of magnitude in the divisor is another -6.
Ah good point, I didn't think that far ahead (only linearly) since vulnerability only went up to x4/+4 but since Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction is defined even up to /1000 I guess that would be even higher.

I can't really follow the math, this doesn't seem to match the pg 28 tables which has ranges like 61-84
Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 AM   #136
dataweaver

Fair enough. You can use those ranges; just increase the Robustness Threshold/Wound Potential column by 2 so that ×1 or ÷1 becomes +0 or -0. Multipliers become positives, divisors become negatives.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #137
Plane

I'm trying to think of how grappling rules might be used to accelerate/decelerate bleeding. Like perhaps a certain amount of control points (pressure) on a wound could lessen AP/FP loss from that wound (inhibit pressure toward wound surface) until it can be stitched shut, but on the other hand, holding it a different way might actually increase bleeding by milking blood towards surface to inhibit clotting. I'm not sure what the difference is...
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #138
Pseudonym

I was just thinking about agony and conditional injury. It takes *days* to recover naturally, and agony does 1 fp/minute damage, so someone in agony is likely to die in under an hour if the wounds don't kill them first. Is there anywhere in the book that describes a mundane mechanical process to deal with agony pain?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #139
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
I was just thinking about agony and conditional injury. It takes *days* to recover naturally, and agony does 1 fp/minute damage, so someone in agony is likely to die in under an hour if the wounds don't kill them first. Is there anywhere in the book that describes a mundane mechanical process to deal with agony pain?
From another thread where this came up, we're apparently supposed to realize that Agony can't apply to someone who has fallen unconscious. Which makes suffering to death...well, rather slower, at least.

Although since every time you wake up you end up losing 1x FP hit points before passing out again, it still will very possibly kill you if (A) you actually use the rules and (B) you don't have medication that damps the Agony and/or keeps the patient unconscious.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #140
Kaslak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You should be rolling each turn at Severity 0 and Severity 1; those are between 0 and -HP/2 type reductions, so they should have the usual effects in GURPS. If that isn't clear in the article, my bad.
I apologize for the necro-posting, but I think this is the best thread to follow up on this with related questions:

A) On the quoted above text, does this apply also for extremities and eyes, where the wound severity is modified for gross effects determination (and less damage is needed to produce severity 0 and 1 wounds)?

B) Mortal wounds

B.1) The mechanics at pg. 30 require a modified HT roll with death on failure. "If the victim does not die, check for unconsciousness, knockdown and stunning", so it seems that it does not incapacitate the character by default, unless agony is caused, which could create some interesting situations.
In Basic set campaigns pg 423, "you are instantly incapacitated" (My assumption is, until the wound is stabilized or you crit. succeed). Is the effect of severity 2 and 3 modified w.r.t. Basic Set?

B.2) The timing of HT rolls do avoid death subsequently, after the first three rolls, is once every 12 hours, while in the basic set it was every 30 minutes. In basic set, trauma maintenance had the effect of allowing to use the caregiver Physician skill instead of HT, and doubling the interval from 30 minutes to 1h, or from 30 minutes to 24 h if sustained by heart lung machine. Are the new roll intervals in CI likewise rescaled, or the being attached to a machine simply doubles the interval to 24h?

C) Wounds to extremities/limbs

2 cr damage to an extremity for a HP15 creature (i.e. robustness th 5) means a wound potential of 0, with +3 "when determining the gross effect only", that means a major wound => roll vs KD/stunning, possibly causing mild pain.

3 cr damage to the same extremity => as above, but the creature is reeling unless healing, and possibly in moderate pain

With basic rules, a major wound to the extremity would happen together with crippling (at least 6 dmg, for an extremity), and reeling would require accumulating 11 dmg (for instance getting 2 crippled extremities)

Am I reading this as intended? The implication is that, as excessively robust enemies cannot be anymore grinded to negative hp, it favors hitting where it hurts.

Thank you for your replies.

Last edited by Kaslak; 11-11-2022 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Kaslak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate gurps, pyramid