Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #41
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Build a Cyberpunk Setting

Some more thoughts:
  • Cuisine will likely be a combination of Indian/Thai/Japanese. Those can be pretty close anyways. Japanese golden curry is just delicious. I like the idea of pho and curry carts being a common roach coach.
  • I think there is going to be some romanticization of past eras going on. Maybe the 40s or 80s - both seem really ripe for people who want to look back on glory days.
  • I'm still trying to figure out how I want the Internet to work. I'm thinking two forms: a faster, better version of what we have now and then a higher version for VR. I want VR networks that can traverse the globe. Still not sure how I want to do that.
  • I'm planning on using some current companies in the campaign world just so its at least moderately familiar.
  • The growth of urban areas was like a cancer after the NAU formed - lots of development and then the threat of the vampires and gang wars just destroyed whole areas creating wastelands between sprawls.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM   #42
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Oh-ho! Stealing my "I'm not going to bother figuring this detail out because it will never matter schtick!"!

Well, I'll have you know... I'm okay with that. I heartily endorse not figuring things out until you need to, if ever.
It's the only sane way to develop a campaign world.

Become a Patron!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #43
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
Some more thoughts:
  • Cuisine will likely be a combination of Indian/Thai/Japanese.
Phooey. The energy bars are going to be competing for space in my armored long coat with my spare ammunition. I guess there are reasons it's a dystopia. :)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #44
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Phooey. The energy bars are going to be competing for space in my armored long coat with my spare ammunition. I guess there are reasons it's a dystopia. :)
I mean, there will be rations and such, but cooked fresh food is gonna be that combo. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #45
The Colonel

Quote:
Luckily ten Choco-lent bars (or indeed ten cans of generic soft drink) take up as much space as one so you'll make a saving there ... (on the downside, all the guns rammed under your coat will make you unable to climb and only able to get over obstacles greater than knee high by getting special modifications that let you jump as high as your shoulder).

And as for the fresh food - I can see pad Thai and Nasi-goreng style dishes being very useful when you are cooking with you-wish-it-was-a-mystery meat and random plant pieces.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #46
Black Leviathan

I'd suggest a few things,

Keeping in the theme of transhumanism make Psionics new and either part of man-made evolution or an unintended effect of industrialization on huamans. If psychic ability came from alien interference make a very obvious link between the cover-up of what's going on on Mars and the shadowy organziations that watch and document psychic ability.

Make your middle-east conflict corporate rather than cultural. Basically once oil companies got their claws into government influence the entire region became a thousand corporate plutocracies overnight but nothing in the character of the region changed. Now there are corporate terrorists blowing themselves up.

Make population centers around the decimated areas massively paranoid about disease, like you have to be tested in isolation for two hours before you can travel from uptown to downtown or city center. Nobody shakes hands, nobody gives gifts or eats foods that aren't packaged and microwaved.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #47
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
L

And as for the fresh food - I can see pad Thai and Nasi-goreng style dishes being very useful when you are cooking with you-wish-it-was-a-mystery meat and random plant pieces.
I have had many pizzas with unidentifiable ingredients. Then there's Philly cheesesteak. Chop the meat and put lots of whiz on it.

I really doubt all that stir-fry is going to be made freshly or from fresh ingredients too.

I do wonder where all the (pseudo)Mexican street food has gone. You'd think there'd still be enough Mexican refugees even if Mexicao proper has gone to hell.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #48
AlexanderHowl

You could have Mexican sushi.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #49
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I'd suggest a few things,

Keeping in the theme of transhumanism make Psionics new and either part of man-made evolution or an unintended effect of industrialization on huamans. If psychic ability came from alien interference make a very obvious link between the cover-up of what's going on on Mars and the shadowy organziations that watch and document psychic ability.
Done.

Quote:
Make your middle-east conflict corporate rather than cultural. Basically once oil companies got their claws into government influence the entire region became a thousand corporate plutocracies overnight but nothing in the character of the region changed. Now there are corporate terrorists blowing themselves up.
Hmmm. Maybe. There is some oil and coal use (about 20% of the world's energy is derived from there), but I kind of like the idea of a religious corporation trying to put religion and profits in the same breath.

Quote:
Make population centers around the decimated areas massively paranoid about disease, like you have to be tested in isolation for two hours before you can travel from uptown to downtown or city center. Nobody shakes hands, nobody gives gifts or eats foods that aren't packaged and microwaved.
This I intend to do to some degree.

Quote:
I have had many pizzas with unidentifiable ingredients. Then there's Philly cheesesteak. Chop the meat and put lots of whiz on it.
Mmm. Pizza on naan flatbread. That's a GREAT idea, Fred.

Quote:
I really doubt all that stir-fry is going to be made freshly or from fresh ingredients too.
It depends. I'm thinking parts of Detroit's sprawl has been turned into farms. Biotech is slightly retarded so genehacked food is kind of avoided.

Quote:
I do wonder where all the (pseudo)Mexican street food has gone. You'd think there'd still be enough Mexican refugees even if Mexicao proper has gone to hell.
That's a good point. I'll include this in my documents. Also, the idea of a nacho bowl that's basically poutine has some appeal as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
You could have Mexican sushi.
I've had fusion sushi before. It's not bad. Chimichanga bites I think it was.

Become a Patron!
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #50
Christopher R. Rice

I thought I'd crowdsource some names and areas of expertise for megacorps. Anyone got any ideas? I'll start off with one:

Van Dorian Industries: From tech to toys, VDI is a massive corporation that spans the globe worth more than some small countries. VDI was the company that reverse-engineered COG technology to create the smaller, more wearable Ajax-29 battlesuit that saw so much use during the Nightstalker Wars. Their efforts also helped to revolutionize the cybernetics industry and are the creators of modern day synthfiber used in cybernetics, combat walkers, and other battlesuits.

Become a Patron!

Tags
cyberpunk