Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Universal Grimoire [RPM]

I just wanted to share an idea for a group of magical gadgets for RPM. Universal Grimoires are tomes bound in bronze and written on parchment that function as a magical grimoire for every possible ritual. They are unprotected tomes, meaning that it can function for anyone who can read it, though they are written in Sumerian. It uses the Unprotected Tome modifier, which includes the gadget modifiers of Breakable, DR 5 and SM-4, -30% and Can Be Stolen, Quick Contest of ST, -30%.

Universal Grimoire: Modular Ability (Slotted Cosmic Power; Focus-Limited, Grimoires Only, -10%; Magical, -10%; No Signature, Mundane, +25%; No Signature, Mystical, +25%; Social, +0%; Trait-Limited; Signature Gear Only, -50%; Unprotected Tome, -60%) [3/4/6/10/18/34/82/162]. Notes: The cost of Universal Grimoires depend on the bonus given by the Universal Grimoire. The first cost given is for a +3 bonus to effective skill while each subsequent cost represents an additional +1 bonus to effective skill. No Signature (Mundane) represents that it appears inconsequential to mundane senses while No Signature (Mystical) represents that it appears inconsequential to mystical senses. If destroyed, Universal Grimoires reform over the course of a week as long as their remains are not trapped in unconsecrated ground.

What do you think? Is it something that you would allow in your games? If not, how would you represent magical books that contain all of the knowledge of magic?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Celti

Default Re: Universal Grimoire [RPM]

Signature Gear as a Modular Ability is as far from a legitimate build as I can possibly imagine.

If you really want a bonus to all rituals, instead consider buying a Talent for all ritual skills up to the desired level, along with an appropriate Unusual Background for "Knows Every Ritual" — and then apply limitations representing a grimoire to that result.

We're completely ignoring the fact that basically no GMs will allow such an Unusual Background, of course.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Celti has the right of it - that's a highly dubious build. No GM would allow that in their games without a lot of thought and chin stroking. If you want to build a modular ability that gives a bonus to rituals have it give something like "IQ without Perception or Will (Rituals only, -40%)"

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Not a bad idea, it ends up being simpler and more effective, though I would use the protected tome modifier (Can Be Stolen would be half price because the people who steal it could not benefit from its effects). How about this version then?

Universal Grimoire: IQ+10 (Magical, -10%; Protected Tome, -45%) [90], Magery 10 (RPM; Protected Tome, -45%) [55], and Path Adept (Protected Tome, -45%) [22]. 167 points. Notes: While the character is holding the tome, they benefit from +10 to IQ, including a +10 Per and +10 Will, Magery 10, and Path Adept. Characters must develop or possess Margery 0+ (RPM) to benefit from the Universal Grimoire. Characters that already possess Path Adept reduce the cost of the Universal Grimoire to 145 points.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Not a bad idea, it ends up being simpler and more effective, though I would use the protected tome modifier (Can Be Stolen would be half price because the people who steal it could not benefit from its effects). How about this version then?

Universal Grimoire: IQ+10 (Magical, -10%; Protected Tome, -45%) [90], Magery 10 (RPM; Protected Tome, -45%) [55], and Path Adept (Protected Tome, -45%) [22]. 167 points. Notes: While the character is holding the tome, they benefit from +10 to IQ, including a +10 Per and +10 Will, Magery 10, and Path Adept. Characters must develop or possess Margery 0+ (RPM) to benefit from the Universal Grimoire. Characters that already possess Path Adept reduce the cost of the Universal Grimoire to 145 points.
That is expensive and rules legal. Unless you're playing in a high point game I don't see the GM allowing it though.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote