Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Anders

Default Energy Reserve Limitation

What would the limitation be for an Energy Reserve that doesn't regenerate on its own, but works as an energy storage - you need to recharge it with your own Fatigue?

I'm tempted to say it's Unhealing (Total) and call it -30%.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
Imbicatus

Default Re: Energy Reserve Limitation

That seems like an enhancement if you can still use methods like Breath Control or recover energy to restore the fatigue that you use to refill the energy reserve.
Imbicatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Refplace

Well thats a more appropriate value than Special Recharge.
Slow 1/hour is -20% and this could let you put in 6 FP if you rest an hour. However your taking time or depleting a valuable resource in your own FP score. Abilities that boost your FP recovery such as Very Fit or Breath Holding require extra points so I think a was. Consider Recover Energy whch is basically a skill that recovers both faster.
So yeah, -20% to -30% seems in the right ballpark.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
What would the limitation be for an Energy Reserve that doesn't regenerate on its own, but works as an energy storage - you need to recharge it with your own Fatigue?

I'd call it the first level of Unhealing since you can restore points to it - so maybe -20% or so.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #5
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

P119 assigns -70% for "Special Recharge".

I don't think there's any precedent for reducing this discount by allowing it to recharge in place of your usual FP recharge, instead you'd need a separate advantage for that.

For example:
Healing (Heals 1 ER instead of 2 HP -0%; Own Race Only -20% Me Only -60%; Reliable 4 +20%; Injuries Only -20%) [6]

Leech 1 (Accelerated Healing +25% Steal FP -25% Only Heals ER -20% Reliable 4 +20% Accessibility: One Target Only -80%) [5]

Regeneration Fast (ER Only -0% Costs Fatigue 2 -10% Maximum Duration: 1 minute -65% Requires Will roll -5%) [10]
Clearly the first two are a lot more affordable. Self-Leeching is more RAW though since modifying Healing like this is extrapolating from the uFAQ at http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=419307 allowing healing to restore FP instead of HP and further extrapolating on the usual allowance to sub ER instead of FP (given that precedent is set to borrow from Regeneration modifiers)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Polkageist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbicatus View Post
That seems like an enhancement if you can still use methods like Breath Control or recover energy to restore the fatigue that you use to refill the energy reserve.
However it doesn't recharge simultaneously with FP, so that might make it a wash. It's not terribly different than simply having a lot more FP. ER is 3pts/level, extra FP is 3pts/level, dropping the price to 2pt/level for the offbeat recharging method might be too much?

I dunno. It's a neat twist on the ER/FP interplay, I just have no idea what or if it should have a different cost. You could theoretically recover FP faster than a typical ER, but you can ONLY recover your ER via FP so that time saved in recovering FP is spent on recovering ER so you may end up with functionally normal FP recovery if you're recharging your ER reserve.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Well thats a more appropriate value than Special Recharge.
Slow 1/hour is -20% and this could let you put in 6 FP if you rest an hour. However your taking time or depleting a valuable resource in your own FP score. Abilities that boost your FP recovery such as Very Fit or Breath Holding require extra points so I think a was. Consider Recover Energy whch is basically a skill that recovers both faster.
So yeah, -20% to -30% seems in the right ballpark.
Your mention of Very Fit has me brainstorming now...

It is possible to take B160's Very Unfit [-15] as a Temporary Disadvantage (-15%) on switchable abilities, which would would halve FP recovery while an ability was turned on.

Switchable +10% on an Energy Reserve might be more than recovery though, it might also activate/deactivate accessibility and maybe even the capacity to hold existing energy (reducing to 0 any time it's switched off)

I don't think we want to go that far... so rather than a straight-out Temporary Disadvantage, I'm wondering if we tried an Either/Or Limitations approach.

0.15 x 0.70 = 0.105 so I think it would be -10% if it was "can't recharge normally OR recharges normally but you suffer Very Unfit effects".

I think there was a 3e instance of Unhealing (FP not HP) somewhere but I don't know if that's canon anywhere in 4e if yhou want to remove the other aspects of Very Unfit like the HT penalties.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
energy reserve, limitation