Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: Assumptions about Elves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Just being able to control fertility by will, magic, or herbalism would on its drastically reduce population growth. Some modern societies are below replacements rates after all.
Unaging would remove one reason for needing big families in the first place, that of retirement insurance.
(Oddly, just looking around a bit... it seems that the average family size in medieval Europe may have been much smaller than is popularly stated and I assumed.)
Well "size of family" doesn't equate to "number of children given birth to".
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Very true especially as most deaths were of infants rather than small children back then. So that wouldn't show up clearly in records, I think. That would suggest Elves need good hygiene and/or great resistance to disease to avoid that factor.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'll admit, I've always conceived of default elves having a paleo (from living off the land) to aristocratic (elves are based on the fae) diet, which would indicate a lot of fruit, something in the way of nuts and odd vegetables, a lot of meat, and not much grain. I've seen it done different ways, of course, but that's what feels most natural to me.

I've seen the Elven fertility rate explained as the entire pregnancy needing to happen close to a source of magic. Without the magic, miscarriage or simply not conceiving in the first place is almost assured.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #14
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Very true especially as most deaths were of infants rather than small children back then. So that wouldn't show up clearly in records, I think. That would suggest Elves need good hygiene and/or great resistance to disease to avoid that factor.
Not really a problem. Elves, no matter the flavour, are generally noted for having spectacularly good hygiene. Outside of Dragon Age where elves lead nasty, brutish and short lives. Also not practicing animal husbandry and having magic helps.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've seen the Elven fertility rate explained as the entire pregnancy needing to happen close to a source of magic. Without the magic, miscarriage or simply not conceiving in the first place is almost assured.
That last issue alone could explain half elves. The human half picks up the slack for fetal mana dependency.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #16
smurf
Banned

I just made Elves skinny, androgynous, and quick.

In GURPS they could be given bow perks to make them pull beefier bows. Maybe Night Vision and unusual training for light walk.

I never like the longevity thing and would happy to have them with normal ageing.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
shawnhcorey

I always thought elves would use permaculture to get their woodlands to produce food. Permaculture produces about the same amount of food as modern agriculture. If the society is medieval, it would produce more.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
AlexanderHowl

It was used in the Amazon for the pre-Columbian Amazonian civilization to support a population that may have been larger than that of Europe at the time. Their practice, the making of terra preta, which may have covered up to 10% of the Amazon Basin (an area twice that of Great Britain), is probably the best example of agroforestry. It is too bad that the European plagues were especially deadly to their civilization, leaving only the Amazonian native tribes as a remnant.

Of course, that suggests that you could have a high population of elves living in a tropical rainforest. Imagine a place like the Amazon Basin, where an elven civilization could support a population of 80 million elves through using practices similar to terra preta, and then have magic being commonly practiced. A human civilization that encountered the elven civilization would be confused, surprised, and terrified, especially if they are used to elves living in small villages and subsisting only through small forest gardens.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
shawnhcorey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Of course, that suggests that you could have a high population of elves living in a tropical rainforest.
Or anywhere where's there enough rainfall. Every place on Earth receives the same amount of sunlight in a year. But in some places, it's not daily.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
AlexanderHowl

A tropical rainforest allow for greater productivity because of the rainfall and year-long growing season (as you can stagger production so there is something to eat all of the time). A monsoon forest only supports half as many people as a tropical rainforest because of less rainfall. A temperate rainforest only supports half as many people as a moonson forest because of the shorter growing season. A temperate woodlands only supports half as many people as a temperate rainforest because of less rainfall and the shorter growing season. Forest gardens in temperate woodlands should allow for a population comparable to medieval agriculture though.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brainstorming, elves, farming