Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 PM   #21
namada

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

Sort of. I don't do online gaming. I'd wrapped up my last campaign right before this started spreading like crazy in the US. I was taking a short hiatus before launching into a DFRPG game with two new groups (having left the previous group in good GM-hands), but both groups have at least two diabetics, so those games have been put on hold indefinitely.

I find it absurd that folks are supposed to be practicing social distancing, yet when I drove by Walgreens today, every store I passed had its parking lot packed to the limit. Far worse than the way holiday shopping fills parking lots.
Warning: I have several neurological disorders. If I post something that makes no sense, or seems offensive to you, please just let me know & I'll try to clarify what I was thinking at that moment, which did not come out in the post...

Thanks for understanding & helping.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #22
tshiggins

We held our last session, on schedule, but nothing had much happened in Colorado at that time, other than a few cases up in ski resort towns.

I'm not sure what we'll do, here, in a couple of weeks when we've scheduled the next one. We'll discuss it, as the day approaches.

Odds are decent we'll play, I think. We'll play in a private home and, if nobody in the group is sick or has engaged in high-risk activity, we'll probably meet up.

It's definitely not a sure thing, though.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #23
Bengt

My current group has always been Roll20 + Discord so no change there.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 02:29 AM   #24
Polydamas

On the statistics question, I finally found a WHO site with daily updates by country (although everywhere there are data issues with combining cases from different sources and time lags between data collection and compilation) https://virusncov.com/who-report Where I can check it (which is only in a few countries), its pretty close to local government sources. So in the future I will cite that instead of Wikipedia.

I previously had a game where someone used video chat + texting + a microphone from another region and the rest of the group was in one room.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:22 AM   #25
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
I previously had a game where someone used video chat + texting + a microphone from another region and the rest of the group was in one room.
That's always worked fine for me, as has one-on-one gaming through Skype.

It's group chats that are annoying.

Still, we'll try to figure it out this weekend. I have asked the engineers and computer scientists in my group to figure out a solution. I think they might just use Discord, but if there is anything much better or some awesome gaming app/website that we should be using alongside a voice channel from Discord, I'd appreciate advice.

I'll have plenty of time to game, as for the next ten days, I'll be stuck at home in isolation.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #26
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
My current group has always been Roll20 + Discord so no change there.
I'm pondering running something for friends on-line. Any comments on relative merits of Roll20 and Discord for novices to on-line gaming?
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:07 AM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I'm pondering running something for friends on-line. Any comments on relative merits of Roll20 and Discord for novices to on-line gaming?

Roll20 (or something like it) is indispensable for games all about tactical positioning. If you use a map at the gaming table, you'll want something to replace that. It does take some work to set up, and if I don't have to use it, I just use discord. Discord is easier to get accounts to and gives less technical trouble. It also makes secret communication and pre-game notices possible.

And yeah, I'm an online guy, so no change. Actually, I'm hoping the virus will drive more people into the game, especially online.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #28
Anthony

Last we tested the voice on roll20 was horrible, so we've been using Google Hangouts, but it's really a matter of what you have easily able to set up, Discord will work fine.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #29
RyanW

I work in a pharmacy, and while I haven't been given one yet, any time we have a hurricane I've been given "Yes. This person really needs to come to work. Please don't arrest him." documents. I am therefore at high risk of exposure and will most likely only be excused from work if I actually get sick. So I basically have no face to face contact outside of work (where I am almost inevitably going to be exposed) and home (where I live with my 67 year old mother).

Yeah. Even if I could meet with my friends, I am probably too stressed to actually enjoy a game right now.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #30
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I deleted an off-topic tangent — if you want to talk general C-19 statistics, please do so elsewhere. This thread is for discussing how your group is dealing with the situation.

My group had our irregularly scheduled D&D game a week ago and even that morning we were discussing whether we should be getting together. I guess we’ll find out in a week or so if we all get sick. We don’t plan to game in person again until the situation is considerably more stable, and (because we don’t usually do a lot of map work) we’ve been discussing a variety of ways to game online.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gaming, illness