Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #411
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Cidi government question II

How many planetary systems do the Cidi control, and how many of those systems contain polities/nations in their own right, rather than colonies?

I'm going to declare just to get this going that they at least control their own star system, and that they don't control more than thirty systems, total, but there's a fair range between those, and I'm hoping for suggestions. I'll most likely end up averaging the results, unless a particular number or small range of numbers is especially popular.

Note that this is a two part question, so I'm expecting two numbers, the first being the number of systems, and the second being how many of those systems are or contain full member states, rather than colonies. Please put the two numbers on separate lines, to avoid confusion.

EDIT: The average comes out to (rounding off) 11 systems controlled in total, with 7 of those systems being or having nations/voting seats in the Cidi Congress.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 07-13-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:56 AM   #412
Vikingv

They have major colonies on 6 systems and 2 other systems are fully established and independent.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 AM   #413
TGLS

The Cidi have settled 11 systems.
5 of the systems are represented in the Cidi Congress to some degree or another.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #414
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Cidi have 23 worlds.
17 of those worlds have one or more nations on them.

There are 47 nations present off of the homeworld.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:54 AM   #415
Prince Charon

OK, I hope to see more votes, but right now I'm thinking that I'll post the next question on Sunday or Monday. Vote remains open.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:27 AM   #416
Emerald Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Cidi government question II

How many planetary systems do the Cidi control, and how many of those systems contain polities/nations in their own right, rather than colonies?
They have 5 systems that have strong feelings of nationalism. These consist of the Cidi home world and the first 4 colonial settlements. Radicals and discontents fled the Cidi home system using early FTL drives that took months to reach their new homes. Each colony had developed their own unique culture by the time FTL advanced to the point that it only took weeks to travel between the colonies. Federalization would never have happened if the Cidi hadn't had hostile first contact around the time the colonies reconnected.

There are also 15 colony systems. By treaty, all of the systems discovered by the Cidi will be divided up as evenly as possible between the home systems. Each home system currently rules 3 colonies. These colonies are more or less extensions of their administering system. But there is a growing independence movement among the colonists who want representation as sovereign systems within the Cidi federal union.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #417
Prince Charon

OK, the averages have been worked out and added to the question, so here's the next one:

Cidi government question III

What are the Great Powers and other notable nations of the Cidi civilization? Please give a name, government type, CR, and a brief description.

For example: The Free and Popular Commonwealth of Utinde (dictatorship, CR6). This polity is neither free, nor popular, nor is it a commonwealth, but it is of Utinde. They theoretically are a representative democracy in which the Head of State (the Chancellor) is elected by the people, and the Head of Government (the Presiding Officer of the Utindean Grand Assembly) is elected by the Grand Assembly - the legislature, of which they are a member - but in fact, both are chosen by (and take orders from) the Chairman of the Collectivist Party. Indeed, all national-level candidates are selected by the Steering Committee of the Collectivist Party, of which the Chairman is the head. Regional candidates are likewise selected by the subordinate Party Steering Committee for that region. There are other political parties, but by law, the Collectivist Party counts the votes, which are only considered valid if they have the ID number of the person voting, and even then, a portion may be thrown out if the Collectivist candidate isn't going to win by a wide enough margin (and people who vote against the Collectivist candidates too often may have difficulty getting essential services, be visited by 'concerned citizens,' and/or suffer 'accidents').

The FPCU exists because early in the Cidi's interstellar colonization program, collectivist economic philosophies were popular with the working classes and many intellectuals, and stirrings of revolution were heard in many nations, but none quite adopted the ideas. So, the loudest collectivists and their followers were given one of the poorer (in resources) habitable moons of a gas giant in the Kasnithe system a dozen or so light years from their homeworld, to experiment with their economic and social models in peace (and not impose it on anyone in a violent revolution). The above government is the result of a series of uncivil wars and violent revolutions between factions fronting different collectivist ideologies and/or different charismatic leaders. They are a great power only because they have a large population, a large stock of anti-matter bombs, and spacecraft to deliver them with.

Your description doesn't need to be nearly as long as that, just a sentence or two will do, but my ideas ran away with me a bit.

EDIT: To clarify, the example above is intended to be an extreme outlier, and is in no way meant to be typical of the Cidi Great Powers, most of which I suspect will have rather lower Control Ratings.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 07-13-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #418
Prince Charon

OK, maybe that (question III) was a silly idea. I guess not many people here enjoy doing that sort of thing.

-- Tacitus

Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #419
Prince Charon

OK, can't think of anything else significant to do with the Cidi at the moment (though if anyone still wants to post a Cidi Alliance Great Power or other member state, feel free), so here's a question on a different subject:

Shapeshifters question

Star Trek has a number of beings capable of changing their shape to various degrees (and Garth of Izar apparently learned it), and such beings are found in GURPS Aliens, called Xenomorphs. Do they exist in the Psi Trek setting, though?

1. Multiple types of shapeshifters exist, including the Xenomorphs and the Changelings, as does cellular metamorphosis as a learnable (presumable psi) ability.

2. Shapeshifting species exist, but cellular metamorphosis as a learnable ability does not.

3. All shapeshifting species are Xenomorphs, though there may be both cultural and significant genetic differences.

4. All shapeshifters are the same species of Xenomorphs, though there may be cultural differences.

5. There are no shapeshifters on that level, though there may be those capable of cosmetic changes.

6. There are no shapeshifters at all.

7. Something else (please specify).

Please include the number of your preferred option when you vote.

EDIT: The consensus is '2. Shapeshifting species exist, but cellular metamorphosis as a learnable ability does not.'

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 07-20-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:36 AM   #420
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

2 and if not 2, then 1. many options for shapechangers makes the setting more gameable. I don't like psi-based body rearrangement without tech, but with tech its fine

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psionics, space, star trek, world building