Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2019, 12:11 PM   #71
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] Underground Fights in a Tourist Resort in the Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I have met Caribs, so they are not all gone, and their beliefs influenced the beliefs of the maroon communities how they traded and intermarried with. A lot of the folk beliefs of the Caribbean have Native American elements that are different than European or African folk beliefs (though similar to North American and South American folk beliefs because they formed from similar roots).
Yeah, the PCs' Patron has a home on Domincia and there is a significant community of island Caribs living nearby.

Unfortunately, I know very little about Arawak, Carib, Taino or Kalinga mythologies or even which better known mythologies on the mainland they might resemble. Nor do I have much idea about maroon beliefs in the Caribbean, other than they later evolved into Afro-Caribbean religions.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #72
AlexanderHowl

Just look up Legends of the Carib.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #73
tshiggins

Quote:
I have met Caribs, so they are not all gone, and their beliefs influenced the beliefs of the maroon communities how they traded and intermarried with. A lot of the folk beliefs of the Caribbean have Native American elements that are different than European or African folk beliefs (though similar to North American and South American folk beliefs because they formed from similar roots).
I'm aware a few Carib remain, but cultural syncretization works both ways. The Carib culture that currently exists has very little to do with the beliefs held by the indigenous people of the Caribbean at the time Columbus arrived.

That said, if a suitable spirit or old god can be found in the current versions of Carib myths and folklore, that would make an excellent choice. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #74
Icelander

Quote:
Just look up Legends of the Carib.
Thanks. I'll do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'm aware a few Carib remain, but cultural syncretization works both ways. The Carib culture that currently exists has very little to do with the beliefs held by the indigenous people of the Caribbean at the time Columbus arrived.

That said, if a suitable spirit or old god can be found in the current versions of Carib myths and folklore, that would make an excellent choice. :)
Indeed.

And then, of course, in addition to indigenous peoples and West African slaves, the Caribbean was also settled by many waves of European immigrants, free, slave or indentures. Influence from Hispanic, French and Dutch folklore probably exists in Caribbean mythology, not to mention English, Scots and Irish folklore.

Presumably, buccaneers, field hands and planters alike all brought their native legends with them to their new homes, where they eventually mixed with the beliefs of the imported slaves and the few surviving Arawak and Carib peoples.

As far as I know, Spaniard and English sailors both told tales of mermaids in the Caribbean, most likely based on manatees.

I wonder if there were/are local tales of fey, Fair Folk or other ultraterrestials?
Old 04-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #75
Icelander

Default Source of Skilled Hand-to-Hand Fighters in Modern World

Aside from MMA fighters and boxers, what are good sources in the modern world for combatants with high skills in Melee Weapon skills (as opposed to Art or Sport skills), good physical Attributes, Combat Reflexes (and other appropriate Advantages) and a lack of Disadvantages which would preclude being an effective gladiator?

Are there places in the Caribbean where gang violence often features knives, bludgeons, machetes and cane knives, more often than firearms?

Are there any cultures there that still retain a strong blade culture, like the Phillipines?

Last edited by Icelander; 04-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #76
Icelander

Default Caribbean Cities That Are Good Sources of Fighters?

By the time the PCs get involved in the adventure, NPC analysts and investigators will have accumulated some data, including theories about the cities where an unknown entity or organization might be recruiting boxers, MMA fighters and others with combat skills and impressive physiques (and who seem to be disappearing).

I'd like to be able to mention at least 5-6 urban areas where multiple fighters (not necessarily all from the same sport) have gone missing.

Can forumites suggest urban areas in the Caribbean or close to it that might be good sources for people with good hand-to-hand combat capability, who might not be missed by anyone capable of making enough fuss to cause problems?

Cities with active MMA scenes or at least a steady supply of prospects?

Or cities where a lot of boxers come from?

Cities with sub-cultures with a strong tradition of effective Combat skills (not Art or Sport), whether that is just Brawling, any kind of unarmed martial art or even the use of knives, batons, machetes or other melee weapons?

Tags
bloodsports, caribbean, fighters, martial arts, monster hunters