Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #31
PK

Default Re: Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
1. It looks like the system would work a lot better with multiplicative modifiers - additive feels overpriced for utility spells. Especially if you're trying to use Afflictions for them.
I'm sure the system will work quite well with multiplicative modifiers, if you like them! However, as they're not only an optional rule, but one that produces drastically different values (in most cases) from standard GURPS, I didn't (and still wouldn't) consider trying to support them myself when writing this article.

Quote:
2. Why does it take two turns of Concentration to cast a spell? I thought it was one turn to switch Alternative Abilities, or none to switch between attacks.
One turn to switch to the new ability, and a second turn to use it.

This does "break" when switching explicitly from one "attack ability" to another, but that's one of the warts caused by how the current rules distinguish between Alternative Attacks and Alternative Abilities. I wanted this system to be simple and consistent, so I'm sticking with "one turn to switch" even if you're moving between two attacks.

In hindsight, this minor drawback of sorcery is arguably balanced by the minor benefit (raised earlier in this thread) that improvised sorcerous spells get to double-dip on the PM.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #32
Celti

I like and use Multiplicative Modifiers enough (almost since we first acquired Powers) that I've gradually converted all of Divine Favour and Psionic Powers to use them. I see no reason why they wouldn't work with Sorcery and I plan to do the same thing there.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #33
Yako

I agree too, multiplicative modifiers are VERY reasonable with a modifier heavy system.
But as it is rather easy to convert the exisiting abilities, I think it is no flaw in the article.

One thing I did find a bit restrictive though.

The core advantage of sorcery, the modular ability is based on 5 per slot + 5 per point, the latter being identical to the slotted cosmic power from Psionic Powers.

I think rearranging should be one second per slot (which would normally be one), not per character point like the above mentioned ability.
It seems instead to be based on the memorization / Prayer from the Basic Set / Powers, which I think is a bit of a bad deal for the most expensive slot cost.
Yako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I like and use Multiplicative Modifiers enough (almost since we first acquired Powers) that I've gradually converted all of Divine Favour and Psionic Powers to use them. I see no reason why they wouldn't work with Sorcery and I plan to do the same thing there.
Neat! Could you post the new costs somewhere?
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #35
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Neat! Could you post the new costs somewhere?
I don't have them collated anywhere, but I can go through and steal values off character sheets. I'll get something up.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #36
Celti

Here are the MM costs for all Learned Prayers in the Divine Favour book itself, plus the reworked costs for Divine Favour itself — I've never actually used the latter, and only some of the former can be used straight (Raise Dead should *not* be usable with single-digit Divine Favour!).

The items with a * next to them are the ones where the actual cost changed; the others are in there for ease of reference.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #37
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Here are the MM costs for all Learned Prayers in the Divine Favour book itself, plus the reworked costs for Divine Favour itself — I've never actually used the latter, and only some of the former can be used straight (Raise Dead should *not* be usable with single-digit Divine Favour!).

The items with a * next to them are the ones where the actual cost changed; the others are in there for ease of reference.
Thanks!

If you ever do any of the extra learned prayers that have appeared on Pyramid, or any of the psi powers, let me know, I might starta new Supers game soon, and I always wonder if using MM is worth the hassle, with such nicely precalculated abilities in P:DF and P:PP
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #38
Celti

I plan on putting them all up at some point reasonably soon, but my GM distracted me with a game so I haven't been doing it today. Soon, though.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #39
Celti

So while discussing various Infinite Worlds subjects with my gaming group, a question came up: how many levels of Larger Size do you need to get your own pocket universe, complete with galaxies, star systems, planets, and people?

This came up because one character has Jumper as a Wildcard Power and can afford fifty-six levels of Larger Size.

ETA: Hm, if one uses The Arithmetic of Rank as a sort of guideline, that'd be 1e36 subordinates. Is that enough to claim an entire universe?

Last edited by Celti; 01-30-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #40
zoncxs

Quote:
So while discussing various Infinite Worlds subjects with my gaming group, a question came up: how many levels of Larger Size do you need to get your own pocket universe, complete with galaxies, star systems, planets, and people?

This came up because one character has Jumper as a Wildcard Power and can afford fifty-six levels of Larger Size.

ETA: Hm, if one uses The Arithmetic of Rank as a sort of guideline, that'd be 1e36 subordinates. Is that enough to claim an entire universe?
I would say no to an entire universe simply because the size is infinite, sure we know how far the "known" universe stretches to, but its bigger than that!

Or charge "-1/12".
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds, pyramid 3/63, pyramid issues