Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
David Johnston2

Default [Infinite Worlds] When is an echo not an echo?

It's canonically established that echoes have differences that aren't really differences. Vorp to an echo, shoot a scheming Centrum agent, leave a new unsolved murder for the cops and the media, and no matter how puzzled they are by it, that doesn't constitute a Point of Divergence...usually.

So what about a typical wainscot setting? All the nations are the same, and the same politicians are there. All the history books say the same things happen.

But it's normal mana, and the crime and "animal attack" rates are a percentage point or so higher, as is the birth rate to compensate. Are these clues enough to realize that this is not really an echo? At least not an echo of Homeline?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] When is an echo not an echo?

Infinite Worlds leaves the GM substantial wriggle-room on this kind of issue, so answers need to come from the GM of a particular campaign.

In my Infinite Cabal campaign, the PCs think they have discovered where echoes come from, that many world have echoes, and are getting ideas as to why Infinity has only discovered echoes of Homeline.

This started by looking at Enigma as a possible venue for a rather dangerous experiment, noticing some things about the place that Infinity had never discovered (because Infinity don't have access to the Astral Plane) and then discovering where all the people went.

But this is all campaign-specific.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Part of my own campaign echo (or it would be if I had a campaign at the moment) is that "Echoes are where alternates come from. " In every alternate world, you have a stretch of ordinary history before the divergence point -- and the echoes are the timelines where that divergence point is still ahead.

By that definition, I wouldn't include wainscot worlds among the echoes, since they likely DO have a divergence point, it's just an unknown one ... unless, of course, the same wainscot conditions apply on Homeline!

So yes, I'd say clues like that could be an indication that the timeline isn't all it seems. But they could also be a hint that Homeline itself has more going on than meets the eye. ("You mean *our* world has active Archangels and Demon Princes, too?")

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

What about timelines that are echoes despite not having a recognizable history? Maybe echoes are simply mobile alternates, and similarity to homeline isn't absolutely required.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
What about timelines that are echoes despite not having a recognizable history? Maybe echoes are simply mobile alternates, and similarity to homeline isn't absolutely required.
I thought having a recognizable history was part of the definition?

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
I thought having a recognizable history was part of the definition?
According to Homeline's flawed theories.
What if there's some other more important feature they all share, but the fact that nearly all of them are superficially identical to Homeline's known history is a sign of their human centric bias?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
doctorevilbrain

"Vorp to an echo". What is vorp?
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
"Vorp to an echo". What is vorp?
Just the sound effect for going there.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds