Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-28-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
WhiteLily

Default Re: Spending Bonus Character Points

Yes. And this suggests that spending your 15 CPs on +3 HT with -.75 Speed to be superior to Very Fit.

So I've come to believe that RAW bars spending points in this fashion.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLily View Post
Yes. And this suggests that spending your 15 CPs on +3 HT with -.75 Speed to be superior to Very Fit.

So I've come to believe that RAW bars spending points in this fashion.
https://gamingballistic.com/2013/04/...ce-of-fitness/

HT is one of those things like Combat Reflexes where it's already heavily discounted. I've seen a few (and written a few) alternate structures for HT rolls to tweak things out, but those might not be apropos for the DFRPG (or they might, if you're starting with a DFRPG basis and tweaking from there to taste). "Why not just buy HT?" is going to be a very good question from a point-balance perspective nearly all the time.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
Kalzazz

I don't allow increasing disad limits, so buying HT +1 Speed -.25 is to me a major no, same as +1 IQ -1 Per

I am however totally happy to let people fold stuff into piecemeal stat increases

Buy 1 FP, buy 1 Hard to Kill, buy .25 Speed, fold it all together and poof HT

Put 1 extra point in 20 different IQ skills then fold together and poof IQ
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
Mister Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I don't allow increasing disad limits, so buying HT +1 Speed -.25 is to me a major no, same as +1 IQ -1 Per

I am however totally happy to let people fold stuff into piecemeal stat increases

Buy 1 FP, buy 1 Hard to Kill, buy .25 Speed, fold it all together and poof HT

Put 1 extra point in 20 different IQ skills then fold together and poof IQ

I get the point of not increasing Disad limits in the abstract, but it seems really weird in the specific to force the Wizard to become more perceptive and strong-willed to become better at his spells (for example).

Some 'things' in DFRPG have discrete segments you can buy, while others don't. It seems, IDK, overly particular, to give preference to some of them. You can buy up your Will, since increased Will is an advantage, but you can't buy up your Intelligence, without also increasing your Will, because Reduced Will is a disadvantage. I mean, it's a coherent ruling, but it feels arbitrary to me.

Yes, technically the character has increased disadvantage point totals, but mechanically, his IQ score has increased while his Will (and/or Perception) has remained the same. He hasn't in any way disadvantaged his character any more than before he spent the CP. He simply hasn't increased his total CP by as many points as IQ with attendant Will and Perception increases.

It also seems arbitrary in that DFRPG Professions sometimes include mandatory disadvantages that act to 'round off' some statistics (such as reduced Speed increments for some Professions, to avoid fractional Speed scores (even though they do have a concrete benefit), but characters cannot take a reduced fractional Speed in any other case. Not broken or anything, but arbitrary, IMO.

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #15
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
I get the point of not increasing Disad limits in the abstract, but it seems really weird in the specific to force the Wizard to become more perceptive and strong-willed to become better at his spells (for example).

Some 'things' in DFRPG have discrete segments you can buy, while others don't. It seems, IDK, overly particular, to give preference to some of them. You can buy up your Will, since increased Will is an advantage, but you can't buy up your Intelligence, without also increasing your Will, because Reduced Will is a disadvantage. I mean, it's a coherent ruling, but it feels arbitrary to me.

Yes, technically the character has increased disadvantage point totals, but mechanically, his IQ score has increased while his Will (and/or Perception) has remained the same. He hasn't in any way disadvantaged his character any more than before he spent the CP. He simply hasn't increased his total CP by as many points as IQ with attendant Will and Perception increases.

It also seems arbitrary in that DFRPG Professions sometimes include mandatory disadvantages that act to 'round off' some statistics (such as reduced Speed increments for some Professions, to avoid fractional Speed scores (even though they do have a concrete benefit), but characters cannot take a reduced fractional Speed in any other case. Not broken or anything, but arbitrary, IMO.
The discussions on this are a better fit in the regular GURPS forum than here. IQ is a very good value for its points, allowing it to be raised for 10 points/level becomes more like unfairly good value for its points, especially when we're talking about spellcasters.

There is a reason there are house-ruled and more recently official (Power-Ups 9: Alternative Attributes) discussions on repricing IQ and separating it from Will and Per, but if we are talking RAW DFRPG, which is what the OP asked for, no, I don't think this should be allowed nor would I allow it. I'm fine with characters buying things in components and then bundling them together where the rules allow, but not leaving out components of 'package deals': +1 DX without +0.25 to Speed [15], +1 IQ without +1 Per/Will [10], or +1 HT without +0.25 Speed and +1 FP [2] (except in the context of character creation where any deductions count against your disadvantage limit).
Old 11-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Polkageist

I keep forgetting that DF is technically different from GURPS, I've already hackity-slashed my game up with other gubbins from the wider GURPS world
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #17
Kalzazz

If you want Wizards to more cheaply raise spells and not raise Per I'd just uncap Magery
Old 11-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #18
WhiteLily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
If you want Wizards to more cheaply raise spells and not raise Per I'd just uncap Magery
That seems more OP as the damage spells are expressed in terms of Magery and not IQ or skill level.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Kalzazz

I've never seen an issue doing it in GURPS so I doubt it would cause any problems in DFRPG

FP usually is the biggest constraint on wizardly cranking up damage spells not the magery cap
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #20
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
Not broken or anything, but arbitrary, IMO.
Yes. There's a lot of seemingly arbitrary bits of GURPS, especially around stats and disads, and if you dig down it's because of long-standing game design decisions that are usually pretty sound.

The whole thing is completely optional however, so go ahead and allow it if you want. Most likely you'll be fine. Almost as likely is you'll figure out at least one reason why things are set up the the way they are.

Here I insert my usual observation: Character points are not actually needed to have fun GURPS adventures.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote