Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
dcarson

Default Re: Disguising a weapon as a toy

And then there are more extreme versions. Putting a pistol in a teddy bear. Making a water pistol from glass and filling it with acid. Etc.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Generally speaking real weapons will be much heavier than toys, and probably differently sized since most toys are made for children and thus have child-sized parts. The disguise will also get damaged quite rapidly if the weapon is actually used, as your disguise parts are unlikely to appreciate either the heat or the exhaust gases.
While the weight is a dead giveaway (and would be spotted immediately if anyone was actually stopping you and checking your stuff), I'm sure there's a way to make a gun look like an airsoft replica. Doesn't need to last, as if you actually shoot it, you're made either way if they see it, the one time the referring to evidence as a "smoking gun" isn't a metaphor.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 AM   #13
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
And then there are more extreme versions. Putting a pistol in a teddy bear. Making a water pistol from glass and filling it with acid. Etc.
When I saw this thread, I first thought of the gun in the pink pig in RED ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:03 AM   #14
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
While the weight is a dead giveaway (and would be spotted immediately if anyone was actually stopping you and checking your stuff), I'm sure there's a way to make a gun look like an airsoft replica. Doesn't need to last, as if you actually shoot it, you're made either way if they see it, the one time the referring to evidence as a "smoking gun" isn't a metaphor.
Some airsoft guns are extremely accurate. Enough that my brother willingly took a speeding ticket he most likely could have gotten out of, because retrieving his EMT credentials (pretty much a "get out of ticket" card unless you were directly endangering someone) meant exposing his airsoft G36.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 AM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
While the weight is a dead giveaway (and would be spotted immediately if anyone was actually stopping you and checking your stuff), I'm sure there's a way to make a gun look like an airsoft replica.
The problem you have there is that the airsoft replica looks enough like the real thing that people may well give it a close inspection to make sure it's not a real thing, and a close inspection isn't really something you want.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
When I saw this thread, I first thought of the gun in the pink pig in RED ...
My thoughts are on the musicians-turned-gangsters from Chappie, where they have their weapons painted in colors one might expect from toys. Some of the weapons from Far Cry: New Dawn (where, humorously, I'm pretty certain at least one of the songs the Highwaymen listen to is from the above group) also fall into this category. I don't think any of them would actually be mistaken for toys.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Black Leviathan

There's going to be a lot of logistical issues outside of what you're asking but here are the answers I have.

If you're going to disguise a gun you can do it two ways:

You can make it look like a toy replica by spraying some matte finish on it to make it look plasticy and carefully dipping the barrel in orange paint to give it the safety tip. This takes a basic IQ roll not to mess up.
Or you can design a weapon to resemble a paintball gun or a briefcase or a decorative pillow. This may require an Engineering-small arms roll, a machinist roll and an armory roll at penalty. If you're able to use an esoteric gun as the basis of your paint-ball-murder-toy it might require less modification and be better engineered for easier rolls. The gun will have a familiarity penalty no matter what as the balance and action will certainly change.

A disguised weapon probably only works between 1 and Per yards, if you can examine the gun up-close you can get a roll to realize it's a modified firearm. If you're much further than a dozenish yards away then it's a gun-shaped object and not clear enough to hesitate especially if you're already expecting troubles.

The logistical problem is that the range you're going to try to get someone to cooperate at gunpoint is likely going to be in that perception range so it will make it difficult to convince people you are a threat. Police or other law enforcement probably don't want to engage you at close range so they're likely to be outside of the distance a disguised gun works well.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #18
clu2415

In my opinion, just paint would not be convincing. If you were to conceal a firearm in the shell of a water gun or Nerf gun, you might fool somebody. The difference in weight would be quickly apparent if someone sees you handling it for more than a few seconds.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #19
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

This is generally an implausible idea, atleast in America

1) The type of people who would want to conceal a firearm illegally are criminals engaged in some nefarious business. A survey of prisoners with firearms convictions indicates that the primary reason most criminals carry firearms is to protect themselves from other criminals. A firearm that looks like a toy lacks the intimidation factor.

2) Given the way police handle life or death situations, having an object in your hand and acting in a way that makes a police officer fear for his or her safety will get you shot. When the shooting is reviewed, there is a clear doctrine of including the police officer's awareness AT THE TIME of the shooting. So if you take your hand out of your pocket and the cop thinks you've got a pistol in it, he'll shoot you, and there's a good chance that he will not be prosecuted.

3) People who see something suspicious will call the cops. Suspicious could be walking a dog in the wrong neighborhood or carrying a stick over your shoulder. In high school, I was stopped by my local police department while walking down the road, carrying a stick over my shoulder. Somebody had called in that they thought I had a shotgun.

If you want to disguise a firearm, you should conceal it in some sort of innocuous object that will not raise suspicions. Something that looks like a firearm can and will get you in a lot of trouble, possibly even dead.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
WaterAndWindSpirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
This is generally an implausible idea, atleast in America
Given that soldiers assigned to counter terrorist patrol duty (Vigipirate) in my country (France) are thoroughly briefed on weapons disguised as toys with nothing more than a paint coat, someone had to have tried that at some point. Hell, people likely still try it.

1) Terrorists who are planing a one-way trip (happens all the time) and covert ops who already have another identity to assume after that mission (a situation that might happen in tabletop campaigns, even if it is the OpFor) are not average criminals.

2) If you are targeting civvies and are not planning on surviving, or are, for whatever reason, not afraid of the police beyond them spotting you early, you may not care.

3) "suspicious" is a factor of the situational awarenesss. Even highly suspect behavior is unnoticed by the population in my country. People in my country have a *very* low situational awareness.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote