Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
Anders

Default [Horror] A lively night...

So, I bought Horror and read the first two chapters. And tonight I had nightmares, for the first time in a while. Being attacked by spectral clowns because we opened the circus on Friday the 13th* (don't ask me what circus), chasing a black-and-white version of Doctor Who while armed with steel crossbows, and watching the horrifying dancing acts of chihuahas the size of hamsters. Add to that a howling demon which turned out to be my cat who wanted to be let out and you have a night full of events. And there were events from True Grit as well, for some reason.

Anyone else notice any similar phenomena?

*And while I'm glad Horror came out this week, didn't SJG miss an opportunity to release their Horror supplement on Friday the 13th?
Old 05-08-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [Horror] A lively night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
So, I bought Horror and read the first two chapters. And tonight I had nightmares, for the first time in a while. Being attacked by spectral clowns because we opened the circus on Friday the 13th* (don't ask me what circus), chasing a black-and-white version of Doctor Who while armed with steel crossbows, and watching the horrifying dancing acts of chihuahas the size of hamsters. Add to that a howling demon which turned out to be my cat who wanted to be let out and you have a night full of events. And there were events from True Grit as well, for some reason.

*And while I'm glad Horror came out this week, didn't SJG miss an opportunity to release their Horror supplement on Friday the 13th?
I HATE clowns. When I was two my mother took me took the Barnum and Baily circus, everything was great until the clowns came out...I was fine until they started collecting children from the audience to ride in their clown car. Naturally (being only two) being taken from my mother freaked me out, but the clown who had me, a sad puppy dog face, dragged me to the car thinking I'd calm down and have fun once I was there. I didn't. Somehow I managed to get back to my mother without being seen until I clutched her arm. I stayed there the whole time until finally when the clown ride was over the sad puppy dog face clown came up to my mother and complemented on how I "had a strong right hook"; my mother told me later on that I managed to bloody the poor guys nose, I had not noticed it because of the makeup.

After reading the Fear of Madness section I didn't actually go to sleep till much later Friday morning. Even then I had crazy weird dreams about pale-faced mummers clapping erasers to get rid of chalk dust singing some sort of folk song (which I do not remember). It was a odd dream for a man who has night terrors and odd dreams.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Wow. I managed to pick Horror up, but haven't had time to do anything more than a quick glance. If it actuall induces nightmares I'm gunna have to move reading it up on my schedule. I'm strange, I likes me a good nightmare. But, I also practice lucid dreaming (still don't have it down yet). I'd like to give it a try with a nightmare.

While I've had some doozies of nightmares in my time, I've never suffered from night terrors.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Wow. I managed to pick Horror up, but haven't had time to do anything more than a quick glance. If it actuall induces nightmares I'm gunna have to move reading it up on my schedule. I'm strange, I likes me a good nightmare. But, I also practice lucid dreaming (still don't have it down yet). I'd like to give it a try with a nightmare.

While I've had some doozies of nightmares in my time, I've never suffered from night terrors.
I use my nightmares and dreams as fuel for my writing and gaming, having had night terrors for nearly 25 years I don't like them, but I've lived with them so long I use them to my advantage, lemons to lemonade and all.

I have...issues that I don't like to discuss in public, but needless to say my night terrors have been with me so long they've grown tolerable. I ended up trying all manner of things to help, from yoga, breathing exercises, you name it. Finally my grandfather* made me a dreamcatcher of horse hair and eventually taught me what you call lucid dreaming (I didn't know its name then). I'm not superstitious but that damn dreamcatcher helped, it didn't make them go away, but I didn't wake up screaming every night.

Ghostdancer

*a full-blooded Cherokee.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
zorg
Experimental Subject

Well, I read through Horror last evening, and when I started to wake up this morning, my first groggy thought was how to scare my players with demonic rats...
Old 05-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Well, I read through Horror last evening, and when I started to wake up this morning, my first groggy thought was how to scare my players with demonic rats...
What about Willard? What about Ben? You can't possibly forget them.

Become a Patron!
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post

I'm a night owl, so I tend to read my books really late at night, so while I don't think I've had any nightmares from GURPS Horror, I do distinctly remember 3e Horror giving me the heebie-jeebies when the wind slammed the window shut and gave me the fits for about five minutes as suddenly every creak in the house was SOMETHING creeping up the stairs.

Not as funny as the time I was playing the Suffering around 10 o'clock at night, though. In the middle of this fight scene, this horrifying screeching began. After I killed everything, it kept going, so I'm turning around in a panic to see what it is when slowly it dawns on me that the screeching is coming from the real world. So, I'm about to have a heart attack while trying to figure out what the HELL is making that nightmarish noise when I realize that the neighbors are rolling up their porch canopy, and the sound was the squeaking of very unoiled metal.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
What about Willard? What about Ben? You can't possibly forget them.
Heh. Had to google those :)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Anders

I wonder if I can sue SJG for mental suffering. They were clearly negligent when they didn't add the warning label "May cause nightmares" to the book. :)
Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I HATE clowns.
*makes note for future amusement* :D
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, nightmares