Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #31
Lord Herman

Default Re: GURPS Horror is out!

Shiny! Insanity and corruption are the two things that were missing from my GURPS Warhammer 40k game. And I think general advice on running horror games could be very useful to me.

Too bad I'm broke at the moment. I'll definitely be buying this once I have money again.
Lord Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #32
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Sadly, the bibliography isn't up to the ridiculous standard set by Tactical Shooting [...] I had hoped that future SJGames books would use that kind of bibliography style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I liked it too. Made the bibliography several times more useful.
We leave that decision to the writer. With space being a finite resource, a Tactical Shooting-style bibliography (59 words/entry) offers dissection of the source material at the expense of fewer entries, while a Horror-style bibliography (28 words/entry) offers more sources at the expense of annotation. Given the scope of "horror" vs. the scope of "tactical shooting," I think that Ken made the right call here – he needed to provide sources to support dozens and dozens of fears, structures, styles, subgenres, themes, etc. Also, his book didn't have the luxury of being able to point out unambiguous combat tricks and items of equipment; a lot of his discussion concerned story, and inasmuch as he did annotate his bibliography, he indeed used the analytical terminology established in the book ("fear of nature," "Gauntlet," "survival horror," etc.). I'd say that's as close as Horror could come to the way Tactical Shooting called out perks, techniques, firearms, etc.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #33
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
We leave that decision to the writer. With space being a finite resource, a Tactical Shooting-style bibliography (59 words/entry) offers dissection of the source material at the expense of fewer entries, while a Horror-style bibliography (28 words/entry) offers more sources at the expense of annotation. Given the scope of "horror" vs. the scope of "tactical shooting," I think that Ken made the right call here – he needed to provide sources to support dozens and dozens of fears, structures, styles, subgenres, themes, etc. Also, his book didn't have the luxury of being able to point out unambiguous combat tricks and items of equipment; a lot of his discussion concerned story, and inasmuch as he did annotate his bibliography, he indeed used the analytical terminology established in the book ("fear of nature," "Gauntlet," "survival horror," etc.). I'd say that's as close as Horror could come to the way Tactical Shooting called out perks, techniques, firearms, etc.
I agree that the choice made fits the topic. I would much rather have the 11 pages of multiple media references than 5 or 6 pages of more detailed ones. The shorter entries are enough to pique my interest... if they do, I can find out more on my own.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #34
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
And I would like to quote Kromm here... "GURPS Infinite Worlds: Worlds of Horror consists of all-new mini-settings. GURPS Horror will include two of Ken's original three mini-settings. We have plans to give the third its own PDF which will be neither Worlds of Horror nor Horror."

Combined with the fact that Seas of Dread and Blood in the Craters are in GURPS Horror, that seems to mean that The Madness Dossier is going to get its very own supplement!

I can't afford it now, but it looks like great reading!
I either sold or gave away my 3e GURPS Horror. Could you tell me what the Madness Dossier setting is like?

Also I'm having problems with the GURPS Horror preview PDF. It causes my browser to lock up and I can't read beyond about page 3. I'd rather not buy the full product if I am to run into this issue. Anyone else encounter this problem?

The error I get is "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JRMWFQ+NewAster-BoldItalic.' Some characters may not display or print correctly.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #35
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Also I'm having problems with the GURPS Horror preview PDF. It causes my browser to lock up and I can't read beyond about page 3. I'd rather not buy the full product if I am to run into this issue. Anyone else encounter this problem?

The error I get is "Cannot extract the embedded font 'JRMWFQ+NewAster-BoldItalic.' Some characters may not display or print correctly.
Worked just fine in Firefox 4 and IE with Foxit Reader as my PDF viewer. Try saving it to your local drive and then viewing from there?
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #36
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
In 3e, we have a section on Vampires, which includes a template. Then, thereafter, we have a discussion of "Variations," including their ability to control monds
I think you meant to write "ponds".
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #37
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
I think you meant to write "ponds".
*chuckles of vampire's controlling ponds* "Minds", I'm pretty sure.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #38
dataweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
I either sold or gave away my 3e GURPS Horror. Could you tell me what the Madness Dossier setting is like?
"For 15 centuries, the Red King has been asleep, knocked out by a cataclysm so massive that it threw all of history - past and future - into a new pattern. The Red King's servants, the ones who survived the reality quake, slowly shook themselves out of the rubble of their superseded history and began trying to wake him up. For over a century, only the archaeologists, neurolinguists, and commandos of Project Sandman have stopped them. Every day the Red King stays asleep is a day that history remains familiar, that human beings remain free, that the madness dossier remains closed. And all it costs is the life, the morals, and the sanity of everyone who works for Project Sandman."
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #39
griffin

[QUOTE=B9anders;1170556]I am sort of torn here.

What kind of monstrous stats do we get? QUOTE]

Yeah, what monsters are in the book? Did the ones in GURPS Cabal make it in. Cabal 3e is very mechanics/stat light. If the monster stats made it into Horror, that would be great and let me easily use Cabal in my Monster Hunter games.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #40
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Worked just fine in Firefox 4 and IE with Foxit Reader as my PDF viewer. Try saving it to your local drive and then viewing from there?
Saved locally and opened it but still get the same error. I can only see up to the top of the page with "Survival Horror on it (p. 87 is listed on the page before this). It just hangs at the Survival Horror section.

Tags
horror