Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
Agemegos

Default Re: GURPS Horror is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I had hoped that future SJGames books would use that kind of bibliography style.
I liked it too. Made the bibliography several times more useful.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #22
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
Areas that I'd like to direct readers to: "Be Thou Not Afraid", page 95 (how angels can be terrifying); Stress and Derangement, pages 141-152 (psychological counterparts to Fatigue and Damage) (. . .) (a toolkit for making just about anything the GM wants hazardous to your moral health
This release has came as a surprise to me.

The areas that you are pointing to are very interesting to me. Years ago I made a set of GURPS 3e house rules for handling the psychological dimension of characters, in parallel with the Hit & Fatigue Points too.

And angels being terrifying makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not a big fan of the Horror genre, but I hope that more parts of this book can be mixed with the Fantasy genre (in a broad sense). Thanks for your post!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #23
dataweaver

FWIW, the "Power Corrupts" section is also something of a "psychology mechanics" system, though what it tracks is moral decay.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #24
B9anders

I am sort of torn here.

On the one hand, I loved 3e Horror. Which makes me want to buy this.

On the other, 3e Horror is itself just a great book which adapts rather well to 4e.

What do the readers who have already sucked the marrow from the shattered spine of 3e Horror get for our money's worth?

Does it emulate Sanity rules from CoC in any way? What kind of monstrous stats do we get? I've always felt that GURPS ought to be very well suited to CoC, except that it struggles with the Sanity aspect (fright checks just isn't quite the same to me).
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #25
dataweaver

I think you'll like the aforementioned "Stress and Derangement" section; Derangement in particular has a CoCesque Sanity vibe to it. As well, the Power Corrupts section provides guidelines for having the study of dark tomes being harmful to your soul.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 AM   #26
Mercator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
What do the readers who have already sucked the marrow from the shattered spine of 3e Horror get for our money's worth?
Having gone through both: quite a lot, actually. Kromm gives a brief overview of the changes here.

It's a very, very good book, and the new content by itself is well worth the price.

M.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #27
Max Schreck

Default Yee-haw!

Yee-haw! I got a complimentary copy. Joy, joy. Now to see if any of my suggestions made it in.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #28
aesir23

Woo-Hoo! My first playtest credit!

I'm seriously excited that this is out now. I should probably wait until after finals to read it, but what the heck.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #29
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Speaking as one of those readers, a lot. As Kromm pointed out in the Horror thread in the e23 forum, they've removed the Madness Dossier (which is getting its own supplement) and between that and the extra pages, you have +40% content, which is very nice for its price point.

Let me give you an example. In 3e, we have a section on Vampires, which includes a template. Then, thereafter, we have a discussion of "Variations," including their ability to control monds, Dread, summoning wolves, rats and bats, compulsive behaviors, dependency on the earth, and staking, plus a quick discussion of resurrection. All in all, this is about three paragraphs. Moreover, it contains a discussion of Plague Vampires (a sidebar) and romantic vampires (a section of another side-bar).

In 4e, you don't have a vampire template (because it already exists within the basic book, so its inclusion would be redundant), but you have a greatly expanded variation section that covers more than a page, with twice as many paragraphs discussing those variations, turning several of those mentioned above into full paragraphs and adding an expanded discussion of Draining and Uncontrollable Appetite. Then the book discusses alternate vampires, of which there are many: The Romantic Vampire and the Plague Vampire remain in the book (with the Romantic gaining a Lamia variant), then we've added the Gaki, the Cihuateto, the Jiangshi, the Moroi, the Psychic Vampire, the Upurina, the "Vampire Lord" (a vampire inspired by Bram Stoker and is nearly 1000 points), and a Vetala.

Almost every monster in this book gains such an expanded treatment, as well as entirely new sections, like the Unnatural Natural.

I'm just giving you an idea here. Essentially, this is much more than just Horror updated to 4e, though you will find much of its information and structure remains the same (the horror advice Kenneth Hite gave in 3e and in Nightmares Mine remains as relevant as ever), but it actually expands on much of the material given. It's certainly worth the $20 they're asking for it, in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #30
B9anders

thanks for the input. I am reading it right now. :)
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror