Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-17-2018, 06:13 AM   #1
ArchonShiva

Default What would you have paid for five DF books on KS?

With evergreen retail not being a consideration, the hindsight-is-20/20 scenario becomes what the original Ogre plan was: fulfill Kickstarter and sell off remaining inventory (you always order extra to account for replacements, etc.) t whatever stores will take it, but not rely on or plan for any actual retail sales.

So, suppose the DFRPG had been the physical contents of four books: Adventurers, Exploits, Spells and Monsters, plus a PDF of I Smell a Rat. Physical GM screen (sans Character Creation booklet) and the PDF Traps, Magic Items and Against the Ratmen as stretch goals, possible but not guaranteed.

No box, no maps, no tokens, no dice, no GURPS Zombies. Flip a coin on a PDF Delvers-to-Go.

You, as a Kickstarter backer, are the only market. This is the only place you can reliably get a physical copy if this, and if you don’t want it, it’s not getting made.
What would that have been with to you, shipping excluded? (We’re assuming that if the project works, PDFs become available for sale)

I’d have gone to $100 easily. I think the DFRPG set was a ridiculous steal at $50.

If costs needed to be lower, I would have been in with less art; I would have been in for a less colourful printing (black-and-white is too much of a loss, but duo-tone can be pretty great, look at Ars Magica 5th); I would have put in more money for hardcover, if that somehow made SJG’s margins better.

I got the leather-bound 4e books in 2004 when the new edition was launched, and was happy to put the $250 on the KS to get the extra stuff, because GURPS is good. I’d toss another chunk like that for another bunch of heavily discounted PDFs from some other corner of 3e or 4e.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #2
Taliesin
Banned

Default Re: What would you have paid for five DF books on KS?

Zero dollars.

I wanted a boxed set. The box was a mandatory, non-negotiable requirement.

I supported the kickstarter as a 100% nostalgia purchase. It's a substitute for the Fantasy Trip boxed set I've wanted since 1981.
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Colarmel

I was pretty hard up during the KS, so 70 was about all I could justify, and that's what I put in. Given a limitless supply of money I certainly would have paid more, but given a limitless supply of money, prices would be irrelevant.
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

I bought in as a gesture of support, once there were PDFs (which weren't originally part of the plan, but that changed quite quickly).

I bought two boxes, one of which went to a nephew, in the hope that he'd get into it, and the other of which I looked at, and put on the shelf. All of my reading of it has been of the PDFs, and I have no expectation of playing it at present: my Wednesday group has things to play that we're more interested in.

So I guess I'd have been willing to pay about the same for the book-only form. However, would that have had a better chance of taking off, and been enough cheaper to create that it would be a financial success for SJG? I doubt it.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Kalzazz

Much less. I was iffy about it at the current price, and only joined once the kickstarter was hitting stretch goals.

Maybe 30.

Normally 10 cents a page makes me happy, but since it was something I had only so so interest in, maybe 7 cents a page or so
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

For five books of this length? $49.95-ish retail so probably around $40 as a Kickstarter, I guess about $8 for the screen without booklets. So overall I might have been willing to pay $50.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Ulairi

I wanted the box set. I really wanted DFRPG to be its own line. I did the $250 “I want it all” line.

I really wish they could support the game line and try to build it but maybe the investment doens’t make sense considering their current product pipeline and revenue being primarily through the intermediary market and not directly to consumer. I think DFRPG is something they could market and sell directly to consumers which does help with margins.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #8
David Johansen

Fifty dollars, the box and tokens, even the maps (which I love) weren't factors. I bought in at the retailer level. I also preordered it from my distributor, who didn't get it in. I did it to support GURPS.

Last edited by David Johansen; 02-19-2018 at 08:27 AM.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
GM Joe

I was there to support GURPS. The box set was neat, and undoubtedly generated a bit of buzz on its own. But being a boxed set wasn’t necessary for me to support it.

Based on the level at which I support other Kickstarters, I’d say a DFRPG that was just books and PDFs would have garnered $50 to $80 from me.

Last edited by GM Joe; 02-19-2018 at 10:26 AM.
GM Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
shadedmagus

I did the $250 "I Want It All" backing level as well. And I bought two boxes, because in my experience one book for the table just isn't enough.

I really like the rules changes in DFRPG and would really like to see the DF line reworked to support those rules, but I understand that due to financial constraints we likely won't see that happen.
shadedmagus is offline   Reply With Quote