Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Statting the Double-barreled bolt-action rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Obviously, the damage statistics would vary by caliber, but the rest would mostly be similar (save for the miniature versions, that use .117 and .22).
I can't figure out why you would want one in such a light caliber, when you could just make an automatic that is as fast as any arbitrary number of barrels up to the magazine capacity.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #12
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I can't figure out why you would want one in such a light caliber, when you could just make an automatic that is as fast as any arbitrary number of barrels up to the magazine capacity.
My guess is that they wanted it for fun, not for practicality. Why do you buy a yo-yo, or a toy car?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
My guess is that they wanted it for fun, not for practicality. Why do you buy a yo-yo, or a toy car?
What are you taking about? Yo-yos are entirely practical hunting weapons.

OK, maybe not, but the story they once were appears to date back to about the time commercial manufacture started in the US.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #14
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
OK, maybe not, but the story they once were appears to date back to about the time commercial manufacture started in the US.
It does make some sense for vermin control instead of hunting, using a metal or hard wood yo-yo to kill rats and mice.

We need to bring back Mythbusters to test this ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
It does make some sense for vermin control instead of hunting, using a metal or hard wood yo-yo to kill rats and mice.
A yoyo is basically a hard piece of wood on a string, except a bunch of its energy goes into spin, and therefore it's a lot slower than it would be if you just threw it, plus it's less controllable and harder to aim.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #16
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A yoyo is basically a hard piece of wood on a string, except a bunch of its energy goes into spin, and therefore it's a lot slower than it would be if you just threw it, plus it's less controllable and harder to aim.
That's assuming you spun it as a weapon, rather than just throw it. The string allows you to recover from a miss than if it wasn't there. The spinning could have come from the exterminator playing with it during idle time.

Yeah, most certainly not true, and a short spear would work better.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
malloyd

Quote:
That's assuming you spun it as a weapon, rather than just throw it. The string allows you to recover from a miss than if it wasn't there. The spinning could have come from the exterminator playing with it during idle time.
It's certainly not impossible - lots of weapons basically are weights on the end of a rope - flails, saps, slungshots, bola perdidas, morningstars, meteor hammers.... And the returning bit is after all the same oddity boomerangs have, and we know non-returning boomerangs actually *are* used for hunting.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #18
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
It's certainly not impossible - lots of weapons basically are weights on the end of a rope - flails, saps, slungshots, bola perdidas, morningstars, meteor hammers.... And the returning bit is after all the same oddity boomerangs have, and we know non-returning boomerangs actually *are* used for hunting.
This digression has made me want to run a post apocalyptic game with a pree-teen armed with a steel yo-yo ;)

For even more digression, a combat yo-yo might be usable as a garotte (awkwardly) with something stronger than string and a more secure anchor to the throwing hand (instead of looping a string a round a finger attach the cord two a double-ring worn over the middle fingers).

Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
This digression has made me want to run a post apocalyptic game with a pree-teen armed with a steel yo-yo ;)
If we've learned anything from gaming and fiction, it's that the only opponents more dangerous than unarmed decrepit old men are cute little girls carrying innocent toys.

Tags
fire arms, statting