Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Erupting Slime

Certainly, the idea that dungeon creatures can only persistently exist in dungeons has some appeal. Another variant would be my Dungeon Demon.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
zuljita

Both neat ideas, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
... Peter's idea of giving everything in the dungeon a higher purpose dependent on the dungeon level it was on is definitely ...
...Lower Purpose, not Higher Purpose.

How could I have been so blind?

O, right, not ambient lighting on this level. Just let me get a torch out.

Lower Purpose - this is identical to Higher Purpose, except that it applies to defending a dungeon from interlopers, and it gets stronger in "deeper levels" (as defined by the GM) of the dungeon.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Higher Purpose makes an awesome monster ability!

Only two standard monsters offer examples: as-Sharak ("Punish invaders of protected place") and sword spirit ("Kill cheaters"). But in "Undead, Undead Everywhere" (Pyramid #3/106, pp. 31-35), I propose mummies who inspire Higher Purpose in their undead slaves. And in "Monster Modding" (Pyramid #3/108, pp. 4-10), I talk about Higher Purposes linked to attacking a racial enemy, carrying out the master's orders, defending tribal lands, fighting in sight of the great leader, etc. "Kill cheaters" is pretty specialized, but the rest are portable:
  • Any monster could have a Higher Purpose linked to defending a locale. That locale might well be the dungeon. Relating Higher Purpose level to dungeon level is a really cool idea – though if the dungeon is deep, you might want this to progress on a 1:2, 1:3, or slower basis rather than 1:1. And yeah, totally call this Lower Purpose.

• Any monster could have a Higher Purpose when it comes to slaying a class of enemies. This can give monsters that aren't always found in the dungeon an edge. It also lends them a certain malevolence: "Punish invaders" is impersonal and easy to understand; it could even be a lily-white protective instinct. "Kill clerics" or "Slay dwarves" makes it personal, and kind of menacing.

• Any fodder or worthy monster could possess a Higher Purpose that concerns serving a boss. Some fodder might even have a Higher Purpose tied to obeying a worthy. It could be interesting to make level equal to the difference in relative monster status – i.e., fodder have Higher Purpose 2 when serving the boss, which works as only Higher Purpose 1 when serving the boss indirectly through worthy lieutenants, while smarter, less-fanatic worthies have Higher Purpose 1 when serving the boss. This kind of Higher Purpose is extra fun because the same monster stats produce a tougher monster in key battles without fudging: stray zombies in early encounters are easy; those serving the lich-lord's draugr captains are tougher, fighting at +1; and the ones around the lich itself are kind of scary, fighting at +2.
These could overlap. It would be really challenging if the normally pathetic Evil Dead were getting +3 for being on the deepest level, another +2 because they're protecting their master, and a further +1 vs. clerics and holy warriors just because those delvers are Good.

There's also Ninja Purpose (kudos to Peter V. Dell'Orto for this!), which becomes progressively more serious as you whittle down a team of ninja. Look up the size of the ninja squad in the "Linear Measurement" column of the Size and Speed/Range Table (Exploits, p. 98). Use the difference in modifier size to assess the bonus as the group loses members. For instance, if you start with 10 ninja (+4), the survivors fight at +1 when there are 7 ninja (+3), +2 when there are 5 ninja (+2), +3 when there are 3 ninja (+1), +4 when there are 2 ninja (0), and a whopping +6 when just one ninja remains (-2). This can be used for any monster that is traditionally used as fodder in hordes yet becomes a major threat when there's just one lurking in the night . . . even zombies might work this way in certain circumstances.

In all cases, don't worry about point cost . . . these are monsters.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #15
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Relating Higher Purpose level to dungeon level is a really cool idea
When automatically applied to monsters, they'll get a nice "level up" as the dungeon gets deeper. Sort of like getting higher Hit Dice (if D&D still uses that mechanic), complete with better TH and saves and all that, with no reworking on the part of the GM.

Which is to say: Naturally, the GM will want to select/design tougher monsters for each dungeon level down. But even stock, weak monsters will get tougher, with no GM effort required.

A nice DFRPG addition!

(One's almost tempted to also apply BAD from Action, worsening by 1 with each level down. Combine that with Higher (Lower?) Purpose for monsters, and the GM gets a programmatic toughening of every aspect of the dungeon with each level down, not entirely unlike a video game, even before customizing each level and its dangers.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I've split off Higher Purpose (split from Difficult monsters) as its own thread for those who want to discuss the idea at greater length. I've left the posts here as well to maintain thread integrity, but I'd prefer to use this thread to talk about erupting slime and similar monsters that threaten to take over the world.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
Anthony

Hm. Really, only the monsters with significant reproduction are good at taking over the world. There's two critters with infectious attack (horde zombie and vampire), but both have weaknesses that will probably prevent them from taking over the world.

It seems likely that all fungi, molds, slimes, and spore clouds can reproduce on corpses, though not too dangerous unless combined with something that increases mobility, such as horde zombies, and only slimes specifically say they turn corpses into more slime.

Oozes can in theory spread explosively, but the trigger for their duplication is too hard to achieve, so unless they have an additional duplication mode probably won't. A gray pudding can produce ghosts at a terrifying rate, though how much of a problem this is depends on what type of ghosts it creates.

Werewolves, oddly, do not have infectious attack.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

[EDIT]
Moved this post to the 'Higher Purpose Thread'.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-02-2018 at 02:15 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #19
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Werewolves, oddly, do not have infectious attack.
Those kinds of werewolves exist, but as the description explains, the usual variety is a species of murderous wolf-men who can assume human form to avoid persecution. They have all the salient features of B-movie werewolves except the infection. The infectious sort actually do threaten civilization, which is why most temples blast the curse out of existence for free when they'd otherwise charge you just to cure a hangnail.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #20
zuljita

Vampires won't eat the whole world in part because they are too smart to do so. Horde zombies might well eat a city, but I can't see it going much farther than that.