Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-14-2015, 12:56 AM   #51
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

I'm sure it's merely an aspect of my limited experience shoehorning things that aren't really that similar. I don't know many fantasy settings that give me the feeling of a chess board so much.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #52
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm sure it's merely an aspect of my limited experience shoehorning things that aren't really that similar. I don't know many fantasy settings that give me the feeling of a chess board so much.
What I'm sad about is that nobody called me out on where I got the concept for Solum from.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 PM   #53
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
What I'm sad about is that nobody called me out on where I got the concept for Solum from.
It was so obvious I thought it didn't need mentioning. An Asimov fan, eh?

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 PM   #54
crretin

Quote:
Don't think of it like that. Think of it as great minds thinking alike. You independently came up with an idea that when developed produced a pretty good game.

Super-Spies Like Us: Relive the history of the Cold War...sort of...through a James Bond lens, fighting Communist powers, third world dictators, and evil tycoons as well as the forces of the Third Way, starting with trying to get a defecting physicist out in the middle of the Berlin Airlift and ending with a climactic attempt by the now elderly super spies to stop the Third Way from taking over a collapsing Soviet Union...if the campaign lasts that long. Along the way you'll visit all of the high and low points of Cold War history...all of them distorted away from what really happened.

No Man's Land: A century ago in a great war between the kingdoms of Gaulle and Alleman the borders were blasted by the combined curse casting of the sorcerers of both sides, creating a No Man's Land between both nations, a zone filled with traps and undead or mutated monsters and out of that devastation a peace created just by the impossibility of moving significant numbers of troops across such hostile terrain. The characters live in a dangerous frontier town inhabited by those who patrol the frontier for stray monsters, or know the few safe paths to the other side for a bit of smuggling or espionage. But something is up on the other side of the Land...

Solum: In this generational game set in a somewhat magical alternate Earth, the first generation are those Romans who have been entrusted with the books of prophecy recorded from the predictions of the last and greatest Sybil of Rome, ordered destroyed by the Emperor because of its prediction of the fall of Rome and many catastrophes to follow. Their mission is to travel to the farthest reaches of the Empire, and there found the seed of a Second (and greater) Empire which will incorporate all of the lands of the old empire within a thousand years and go on to unite the planet in peace and order by 20th century. Unless of course it all goes off the rails.

As you can see I'm in a "let's rewrite history" mood.
Well to be honest I wasn't going to beat myself up about it, but thanks :)

Last Light: The players play the few remaining actual heroes in a dark fantasy style world. Rather than being encouraged to play grimmdark antiheroes, the players are encouraged to play swashbuckling, wise cracking rogues, paladins of light and honour and intelligent and ever curious wizards.

Battle for the west: A high fantasy setting that has recently come under the influence of a weird west style country. Essentially a western fantasy and a European fantasy grating against each other.

Twilight of the east: A wushu style eastern fantasy society, but one who has surrendered to a dieselpunk American society. A world that's full of political intrigue and sword slinging action being abruptly introduced to a world filled with gun fights and bizarre technology

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #55
crretin

Falling angels: A golden age supers setting but told through the grim and dusty filter of a 1930"s noir film, where not all heroes are as clean as they want the public to see them, and the real villain is never who you suspect.

The Amazon: An African fantasy setting under siege by sentient albino baboons with dark and terrible magic who seek to enslave everyone they meet

Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #56
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crretin View Post
The Amazon: An African fantasy setting under siege by sentient albino baboons with dark and terrible magic who seek to enslave everyone they meet
Um...why is it called "The Amazon"?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 AM   #57
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crretin View Post
Well to be honest I wasn't going to beat myself up about it, but thanks :)

Last Light: The players play the few remaining actual heroes in a dark fantasy style world. Rather than being encouraged to play grimmdark antiheroes, the players are encouraged to play swashbuckling, wise cracking rogues, paladins of light and honour and intelligent and ever curious wizards

So...people entirely out of touch with their world's reality?

Quote:
Battle for the west: A high fantasy setting that has recently come under the influence of a weird west style country. Essentially a western fantasy and a European fantasy grating against each other.
Well it couldn't just be the west. Without the large cities of the east and south and/or Europe you wouldn't have the population pressure to drive the colonization. How about doing it the other way? A populous high fantasy empire invading a North America in a world that fell into disorganization after the "magic returned"

Quote:
Twilight of the east: A wushu style eastern fantasy society, but one who has surrendered to a dieselpunk American society. A world that's full of political intrigue and sword slinging action being abruptly introduced to a world filled with gun fights and bizarre technology
That could work.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #58
crretin

Quote:
Um...why is it called "The Amazon"?
I couldn't think of a better name

Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 AM   #59
crretin

Quote:

So...people entirely out of touch with their world's reality?

Well it couldn't just be the west. Without the large cities of the east and south and/or Europe you wouldn't have the population pressure to drive the colonization. How about doing it the other way? A populous high fantasy empire invading a North America in a world that fell into disorganization after the "magic returned"

That could work.
More like people fighting against the darkness of their world

The point of this setting isn't two civilizations warring against each other, the western society isn't trying to invade, they're doing what the british settlers did to the natives and are trading with them and getting the natives to trade their land away. The point of the setting isn't a war but rather the political intrigue of these two cultures grinding up against each other. Their not at war yet.

Last edited by crretin; 03-16-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 AM   #60
crretin

Also with your comment on not enough people in the western civilization warranting colonization? There is no reason to think this, this is a fictional setting and geography of this world just isn't the same as our world. The European style fantasy country is small and the colonizing force is large. There is no reason to assume otherwise.