Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #21
Dalin

Default Re: Evil Runes: How to defeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
A wizard with the right Earth spell or just some spell that makes the ground blow up would get rid of the Rune by disrupting the surface it is put on, right? Break the Rune and the magic will disperse, right?
Depends on the GM's ruling. The relevant text from Dungeon Fantasy Traps (p. 9) reads:

Quote:
They’re a permanent fixture, resistant to damage and impossible to move or steal. This usually prevents delvers from disarming them . . .
It goes on to describe how etched runes can be removed with acid or alkahest. As a GM, I interpret "resistant" loosely, providing other avenues to deal with them, including the methods that you mentioned. I do posit the existence of runes that are etched in the air itself (or, perhaps, in the mana field) which could not be circumvented so easily.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #22
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Evil runes are something I would like there to be hitpoints for. A three hour ritual makes sense but I would think that the more powerful the cleric the more damage he could do in a given period of time. The same is true of a wizard or maybe even a thief. I think of an evil rune as being able to take a certain amount of damage before being dispelled. More powerful clerics and wizards should be able to do more damage more quickly than less powerful ones IMO.
Remember characters can use the Time Spent rules to either increase the amount of time they are taking and rolling with a bonus or using haste and reducing the amount of time spent. An ultra skilled character could even theoretically do it instantly by accepting an additional -10 penalty.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #23
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Depends on the GM's ruling. The relevant text from Dungeon Fantasy Traps (p. 9) reads:

It goes on to describe how etched runes can be removed with acid or alkahest. As a GM, I interpret "resistant" loosely, providing other avenues to deal with them, including the methods that you mentioned. I do posit the existence of runes that are etched in the air itself (or, perhaps, in the mana field) which could not be circumvented so easily.
Well, a downside to ripping up the earth would be making some noise and leaving behind obvious signs you were there - thus the odds of random encounters go up...
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote