Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #21
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Low Mana Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Whoa! No!

In an earlier post, I said recovering spell-induced fatigue in a low Mana area could be handled like recovering physical exhaustion in low oxygen areas. That was a metaphor -- there was no equivalency meant by that or connection made between these very different things.

Be hilarious though to see everyone moving and fighting faster because the air quality was so nice :)
So then you are keeping track of what caused the fatigue. Now you have wounds, magic fatigue and normal fatigue.

I don't much like that.

This was my point.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 02:00 AM   #22
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
So then you are keeping track of what caused the fatigue. Now you have wounds, magic fatigue and normal fatigue.

I don't much like that.

This was my point.
Not sure where this is going anymore.

Following the regular rules, we already have to keep track of (1) wounds, (2) fatigue caused by spending ST on spells, and (3) normal fatigue caused by any physical exhaustion, on the occasions that comes up.

OIC: do you mean if there's magical fatigue and physical fatigue on a figure at the same time, if they don't recover at the same speed then you'll have to keep track of which hits were which instead of lumping them together? Well, yes, that's a little more work, but so is anything else (adjusting spell costs or duration or ranges or DX rolls).

Rarely do we come up with any variation on the RAW that doesn't involve more "work" than just following the RAW.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:55 AM   #23
David Bofinger

I think low mana would be especially hard on powerful spells. How about 3/DX for a spell that costs 1, 4/DX for one that costs 2, etc. Or, the fatigue cost is squared.

For high mana it depends how you imagine it: just positive, or dangerous? There's also an issue with industrial magic, are magic item crafters &c going to establish their workshops in high mana areas?

If it's just positive, and for combat only, then I might say that triple effect occurs on 3, 4, 5, double effect on 6 and 7, and reduce the fatigue cost of spells to the square root of the normal cost.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #24
hcobb

Aspected Mana areas:The storm and ice magic that Frostiana the Chill Princess favors cost one less fatigue per point the spellcasting roll is made by (these spells can also be maintained by 3/DX rolls to reduce the cost as above, at the risk of fizzling the spell on a 16+), while all other spellcasting rolls an additional die.

Note that Frostiana really really likes Scrying, so don't assume that you're hiding anything from her.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #25
ColinK

Thanks for the iron-rich mineral deposits idea!

Stretch that concept a little further to incorporate winds up to and including sandstorms that deposit layers of flour fine powdered iron dust everywhere.

Iron powder in the water, iron powder in the wizard's robes, hair, beard, eyebrows...EEK!

Of course, that's just the explanation for the mana-poor region, but I do like it. Next, I'll have to research the Iron & Magic rules to see what I can learn from them.

Obviously, wizards will place a high value on filtered water, baths, showers, soap, shampoo, clean inn rooms, meticulously clean ritual rooms, etc.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote