Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
phiwum

Default Giant spiders and armor

A giant spider bite will penetrate any armor that stops two hits or less. Does carrying a shield matter or not in this case? Or is it only about whether your armor is better than leather?
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Giant spiders and armor

ITL 108 says that shields do not protect against insect attacks, but fortunately spiders aren't insects.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
ITL 108 says that shields do not protect against insect attacks, but fortunately spiders aren't insects.
Thanks. But while that makes sense for insect-sized insects (even up to a foot or two), seems a little odd for a giant spider. The text isn't clear, but I assume a giant spider is pretty big.

It also seems that shields protect one against rats. That doesn't make much sense to me either.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #4
Axly Suregrip

Giant Spiders are a full hex in size. So their attacks would be affected by armor and shields. Unless the Giant Spider managed to get into HTH, then your shield is no longer in use.

As far as the quote goes on ITL pg 108, that is a general description of small creatures and is meant to be a reminder not full listing. So, no giant insects that are man sized would not ignore shields.

Regarding rats (and spiders, insects, bats, etc that are about that size) see ITL page 100. Yes they do need to get onto your hex and so they do ignore shields.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #5
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Regarding rats (and spiders, insects, bats, etc that are about that size) see ITL page 100. Yes they do need to get onto your hex and so they do ignore shields.
Ah, yes, of course I knew that and played the rule correctly just last week. Plumb forgot it last night. Thanks, Axly.

And I agree with what you said about giant spiders.