Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
tbug

Default Fledgelings of Creation

In my last session two relievers of Creation ran into Eli and talked him into fledging them. Now I have a Cherub and an Ofanite where before I had two relievers. So here's my question: Did Eli create Hearts for them? If so, where are they?

These two had different missions and only met recently. They'd been abandoned on Earth decades ago, and their missions are long over. They've been wandering around and doing as they pleased, but they knew that if they ever lost their vessel then they'd be stuck in Limbo. They don't know if that's still true. I'm guessing that it isn't, but I'm not sure. Is there a canonical answer? I thought maybe I'd seen one in the Eli pdf, but now I can't find it.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
fwcain
Evil Game Master For Hire

Default Re: Fledgelings of Creation

Not having read "Sup: Eli" I cannot state what the canonical answer is. However, in the absence of canon, here is what I would probably do...

If one of the fledgelings was given over "in service" to another Superior, then that Superior would provide the new Heart.

Otherwise, I'd have their new Heart pop up inside the Heaven-side ("upstairs"?) nexus of the Tether of Creation nearest to where the "fledging" (if that is even a word...or would that be "Word"?) took place.
fwcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwcain View Post
If one of the fledgelings was given over "in service" to another Superior, then that Superior would provide the new Heart.
I believe canon is that if a Superior provides a Heart to an angel, then that angel becomes that Superior's Servitor.

No doubt arrangements are made for new Eliite angels to gain their Hearts, just as arrangements are made for new Tethers to be stabilized. Eli is very creative that way...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I believe canon is that if a Superior provides a Heart to an angel, then that angel becomes that Superior's Servitor.

No doubt arrangements are made for new Eliite angels to gain their Hearts, just as arrangements are made for new Tethers to be stabilized. Eli is very creative that way...
AFAIK, it is not specified in canon whether there are in fact any new Servitors of Creation, new defined as being since Eli went walkabout. I had always assumed that there weren't any, and that there are simply no Creationers younger than 60 (1959 is the year of Eli's disappearance, IIRC). Presuming there are, which is clearly the case in the OPs game whether it's canonical or not, I would personally rule that the Hearts appear somewhere in the Halls of Creation, probably Under Eli's Bed.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
... simply no Creationers younger than 60 (1959 is the year of Eli's disappearance, IIRC). Presuming there are, which is clearly the case in the OPs game whether it's canonical or not, I would personally rule that the Hearts appear somewhere in the Halls of Creation, probably Under Eli's Bed.
1957, from the GMG timeline. I only know that offhand because I've made a plot point of it.

"Under Eli's Bed" --snicker-- Though somehow I can see Eli making an arrangement with Christopher, to tend to new hearts without revealing his current location. Eli's Shoebox, in Christopher's closet.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
tbug

Quote:
Not having read "Sup: Eli" I cannot state what the canonical answer is. However, in the absence of canon, here is what I would probably do...

None of them are serving anyone else. I agree that it would simplify things. :)

Quote:
Otherwise, I'd have their new Heart pop up inside the Heaven-side ("upstairs"?) nexus of the Tether of Creation nearest to where the "fledging" (if that is even a word...or would that be "Word"?) took place.
So, would Eli have made a trip back to the Celestial plane in order to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post

So how are Tethers stabilized? Does he have his buddies do it? Does he go back to Heaven? Would he need to be at the specific part of Heaven where the Tether has its locus? I know that he's creative, but do we have any examples at least of what happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
AFAIK, it is not specified in canon whether there are in fact any new Servitors of Creation, new defined as being since Eli went walkabout. I had always assumed that there weren't any, and that there are simply no Creationers younger than 60 (1959 is the year of Eli's disappearance, IIRC). Presuming there are, which is clearly the case in the OPs game whether it's canonical or not, I would personally rule that the Hearts appear somewhere in the Halls of Creation, probably Under Eli's Bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
1957, from the GMG timeline. I only know that offhand because I've made a plot point of it.
I agree. The relievers were sent to Earth long before 1957, but relievers don't have Hearts. My question is what happens to relievers created long ago who only now fledge. They're not new Servitors; they're just newly-qualifed to have Hearts.

Quote:
"Under Eli's Bed" --snicker-- Though somehow I can see Eli making an arrangement with Christopher, to tend to new hearts without revealing his current location. Eli's Shoebox, in Christopher's closet.
But wouldn't that still necessitate Eli's return to Heaven?

I don't mind making a plot out of this, even. I just need some sort of understanding of standard procedure and how Eli's weirdness affects it.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:

Christopher, working with Heaven's most notorious deadbeat dad? *Chuckle*

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
So, would Eli have made a trip back to the Celestial plane in order to do that?
So how are Tethers stabilized? Does he have his buddies do it? Does he go back to Heaven? Would he need to be at the specific part of Heaven where the Tether has its locus? I know that he's creative, but do we have any examples at least of what happens?
I agree. The relievers were sent to Earth long before 1957, but relievers don't have Hearts. My question is what happens to relievers created long ago who only now fledge. They're not new Servitors; they're just newly-qualifed to have Hearts.
But wouldn't that still necessitate Eli's return to Heaven?

I don't mind making a plot out of this, even. I just need some sort of understanding of standard procedure and how Eli's weirdness affects it.

Thanks everyone for the responses!
If I'm reading my Eli book right (sidebar page 19) he has in fact been sneaking in to "the Halls" to stabilize tethers now and again.

There's nothing specific to relievers there, but between that and the section on Redeemed I'd gamble that Eli delegates as much as possible, but he'll sneak in or come where his servitors call to do what only he can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Christopher, working with Heaven's most notorious deadbeat dad? *Chuckle*
Basic Rite to Eli--"Calm a group of three or more crying children". Yeah deadbeat, but really more a celestial flake. I figure Christopher would be indulgent, on account of the age difference. There'd be little point scolding the old man 'cos he wouldn't listen. However, guilt-tripping him with his little rugrats has just a chance of getting through his dreadlocked skull.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post

There's the rub, methinks. 'You may be qualified to win a brand new car!' Sure you are.

'Qualified' does not mean 'given'.

It is fully in keeping with Eli's flakiness to fledge a pair of relievers and totally forget to give them Hearts! Or make their Heart a closet in Los Angles Airport which automatically gives them a new vessel whenever they go to it. (Trauma? What trauma? Or maybe no one notices the closet. Of course, he might have a LOT of new guys who may suddenly have to share the same space...) Or maybe if they 'die' they go to whereever Eli's at so he can 'tut tut' them in person.

The only reference I can recall in the books is in LS, where he picked up a Bright Lilim and dropped her off at Novalis' tether. No mention was made of Hearts, so one assumes someone else provided one (Maybe a very Senior Servitor ala Gabriel's guy? An Angel with the Word of Hearts? A Grigori with the Word of Hearts? Heck, this is starting to sound like a good adventure WITHOUT the Hearts...)

IIRC, if another Servitor provides you a Heart, you are not necessarily his Servitor, but you are stuck with his Dissoannce conditions...

Edited to add: Eli didn't tell them. Why not leave it undefined? Let THEM make the Leap of Faith! And I'm sorry to say that the field is wide open re Eli. He will do as he wilt, but be cool about it.

Last edited by JCD; 11-10-2010 at 07:31 AM.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Or maybe if they 'die' they go to whereever Eli's at so he can 'tut tut' them in person.
Of course! The answer is that Eli carries their Hearts around with him. Celestial Artifacts can have Corporeal forms after all, and Hearts can be thought of as a highly specialized version. Their Hearts are bound into the diamond studs in Eli's earrings, or glass charms on his necklace.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eli, hearts