Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
Maz

Default Modifiers to Will-check to keep concentration?

So, if you are Concentrating on a task (lets say a spell or psionic power like Telekinesis) and are distracted (often by taking damage). You must make a will-3 check or lose your concentration. [Campaigns p.366]

But it seems weird to me that it is always Will-3. No matter if you suffer 1 pt of damage or 5. And no matter if you make a parry or an Acrobatic retreating dodge.

Also, is there any way to improve this outside of buying up Will. Like a technique? Does High Pain Threshold help here?

Have anyone made some modifiers to this Will check?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Modifiers to Will-check to keep concentration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
So, if you are Concentrating on a task (lets say a spell or psionic power like Telekinesis) and are distracted (often by taking damage). You must make a will-3 check or lose your concentration. [Campaigns p.366]

But it seems weird to me that it is always Will-3. No matter if you suffer 1 pt of damage or 5. And no matter if you make a parry or an Acrobatic retreating dodge.

Also, is there any way to improve this outside of buying up Will. Like a technique? Does High Pain Threshold help here?

Have anyone made some modifiers to this Will check?
I use only damage based modifiers consistently currently. But for non damage distractions I have used extra penalties for things like fail by in a suitable disadvantage self-control roll.

The damage based ones are the same I use for major wounds and such too:
* Each full HP of injury is -5 penalty(-5 at 1->1.99*HP -10 at 2->2.99*HP and so on)
* The damage is to head: -5 additional penalty
* High pain threshold is +3
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Icelander

I tend to apply the Shock penalty for being wounded to everything.

Doing two things at once is also good for a generic -2 penalty and I would certainly impose it on the Will roll to maintain Concentration if the PC did anything else in the turn which required a success roll, such as an Acrobatics roll for Acrobatic Dodge.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Per RAW, shock does affect Will rolls. It affects both DX and IQ directly, and thus everything based on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B419
reduce your DX and IQ by the number of HP you lost – to a maximum penalty of -4... Shock affects DX- and IQ-based skills, but not active defenses or other defensive reactions; see Temporary Attribute Penalties (p. 421).
Temporary Attribute Penalties

IQ penalties apply equally to Will and Per.
For that matter, I think Kromm's on record as saying the rule for not recalculating active defenses or derived stats is only for simplicity. If you're willing to do the arithmetic, you can ignore those specifically called-out exceptions.

Since shock affects the roll to maintain Concentration, HPT would help as usual.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #5
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
[...]
Doing two things at once is also good for a generic -2 penalty and I would certainly impose it on the Will roll to maintain Concentration if the PC did anything else in the turn which required a success roll, such as an Acrobatics roll for Acrobatic Dodge.
Very good points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Per RAW, shock does affect Will rolls. It affects both DX and IQ directly, and thus everything based on them.
[...]

Since shock affects the roll to maintain Concentration, HPT would help as usual.
Thanks. I had forgotten about that since I have separated Will and Per from IQ in my games.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote