Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: GURPS Space Fourth Edition

I got into GURPS by buying GURPS Werewolf: The Apocalypse before I bought the Basic Set.

There's supplements (splat books), and there's what look like entirely different game lines to people used to other publishers (compare Paizo making a new core line for their scifi game). GURPS' business model is more common these days (see e.g. nWoD) but can still catch people unawares.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Hi, I'm the line developer. To officially echo what others have said:

Almost none (<1%) of the products branded "GURPS" are standalone games. The overwhelming majority are supplements to the GURPS Basic Set – they expand the Basic Set, assume you possess and have read the Basic Set, and make references to the Basic Set sans warning or explanation. Exceptions are rare, and always have "Roleplaying Game" in the title and/or "Powered by GURPS" somewhere on the packaging.

Thus, GURPS Space refers to the Basic Set by its consecutively numbered pages (1-576), and assumes you know that's where to look for rules that cover character abilities (including space-specific ones like G-Experience and Vacc Suit), racial templates (including alien ones), Control Ratings, society types, tech levels, and over 400,000 words of other stuff.

Moreover, many GURPS supplements also assume access to other GURPS supplements. This doesn't mean the entire library; titles are usually a giveaway. For instance, to add spaceships, you'll want GURPS Spaceships, and if you plan to delve into specific advanced technologies, you'll need GURPS Ultra-Tech. These, too, require the Basic Set. In most supplements, the introduction mentions the other supplements you need or might want.

I hope that helps!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #13
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In most supplements, the introduction mentions the other supplements you need or might want.
Just wanted to add that the introduction is a part of the free preview pdf available on Warehouse 23 pages for each book.