Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #501
PK

Default Re: The 2011 e23 Releases and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkir View Post
For me it's more the latter part, so that no one thinks all those "it's a waste of time, do something useful instead"-posters are promoting the only opinion existing on the forum because no one opposes them.
Unnecessary.

At this point, VD is a work in progress. We plan to release it. And there is nothing that could be said on the forums that would either (A) cause us to decide not to release it or (B) cause us to somehow make it come out faster. (I'm not saying something couldn't happen that would alter things, mind you! Just that it certainly wouldn't be a forum thread. It'd be something like, "David Pulver just won the lottery and agreed to write this book full time," or, "It appears that e23 has exploded. Oh bother.")

So, everyone (not just walkir!) -- please don't feel like you have to "stand up for your side of the great debate" on the forums. It won't change anyone's mind and it won't change how the book comes out. All it does is fill threads with noise. Sharing opinions is fine, and talking about the book is fine -- heck, we appreciate that! -- but there's no need to treat this like a two-sided debate about whether VD is necessary or not, because there's no universal answer to that question.

Thus, if someone says, "VD isn't necessary for GURPS" or "GURPS is incomplete without VD," resist the urge to tell them that yes it is. Even if someone says, "Every GURPS game and gaming groups [does | doesn't] need VD," don't argue about the does/doesn't part, because that's not the point -- the only error in that sentence is its attempt to turn an opinion into a broad and universal statement.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #502
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Thus, if someone says, "VD isn't necessary for GURPS" or "GURPS is incomplete without VD," resist the urge to tell them that yes it is.
GURPS isn't complete without book X (where X is any book you want but isn't out yet)!

Now seriously, I WILL buy VDS, and I MIGHT try to build things with it. Now, I don't know if I will use it at the table. That's a big if.
My stuff on e23
Old 10-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #503
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
GURPS isn't complete without book X (where X is any book you want but isn't out yet)!
GURPS isn't complete without the GURPS conversions that I expect to see in In Nomine Superiors: Marc!

This is technically true - their absence means the body of work is incomplete.

However, on a criterion of "usefulness to the average GURPS player or GM," one could argue that this particular absence doesn't really matter.

But I still want those conversion rules! I'm not as vocal about it as the folks who want GURPS Vehicle Design System are, but that doesn't mean there's no call for this supplement! (After all, I'm calling for it.)

(I trust I don't have to explain the point I'm making here, beyond the obvious "G:VDS and IN:Marc aren't written yet"...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.

Last edited by robkelk; 10-10-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #504
Flyndaran
Untagged

Shouldn't this forum prove that there is no such thing as an "average" Gurps player/enthusiast?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #505
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
GURPS isn't complete without the GURPS conversions that I expect to see in In Nomine Superiors: Marc!
(I trust I don't have to explain the point I'm making here, beyond the obvious "G:VDS and IN:Marc aren't written yet"...)
Personally, I would love to have a "changing times" for G:IN, that gave you 4th ed crunch for IN. Now, my take would be to go back to the source, and go from there, and not to take the 3e version and apply the update.
My stuff on e23
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #506
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I guess it may come as a surprise to learn that there are many people who have e23 accounts, buy every GURPS release, post on rpg.net, and write us e-mail, but who don't even have forums.sjgames.com accounts.
That is actually pretty obvious going by the top 100 sales in E23. Even if those custoemrs overlap a lot, there are thousands of customers and there are not thousands of semi frequent posters on these forums. Readers of the forums though - I don't know.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #507
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Personally, I would love to have a "changing times" for G:IN, that gave you 4th ed crunch for IN. Now, my take would be to go back to the source, and go from there, and not to take the 3e version and apply the update.
From your lips to Mr. Jackson's ears. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #508
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
there are thousands of [e23] customers and there are not thousands of semi frequent posters on these forums. Readers of the forums though - I don't know.
If you look at the bottom of the main forums page, there are often about twice as many guests connected as people logged in. Obviously, there's no way to tell from that how many people in total visit as guests.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #509
Mailanka

Wow, somehow I missed this, but Unknown Armies finally has a PDF! I believe Atlas Games long had a policy of no PDFs for their core books, and it seems this policy has finally changed. As a fan of PDFs, I just wanted to say "Hooray!"
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #510
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

In Nomine: Superiors 2 seems to be the release for this week.
Closed Thread