Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 06-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #11
L.J.Steele

Default Re: Research help for Pulp Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Then there is the occult / weird science efforts, of which I don't know much beyond "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but I recall reading a news article suggesting that Goring oversaw a project to "bring back" (clone I guess?) aurochs and possibly other prehistoric animals.
Ken Hite is my go-to guy on all things Nazi occult. The early episodes of Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff are full of weird bits that didn't make it into Osprey's Book on the topic.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I recall reading a news article suggesting that Goring oversaw a project to "bring back" (clone I guess?) aurochs and possibly other prehistoric animals.
cheers
Bud
No cloning, just selective breeding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7518766.html
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #13
Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
No cloning, just selective breeding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7518766.html
"Nazi Super-Cow", that's one for the next Bestiary supplement.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I saw that and I'm going to see if my reference librarian is up to the challenge of finding it via ILL. 1920s has been my pulp focus.
I've read the book, and it has some stuff that would be useful, and a lot of references that could be followed up.

Quite by chance, I found an interesting titbit today, while browsing through Cartridges of the World. The German military rifle calibre in WWI was 8x57mm Mauser, the same as they used in WWII. The Treaty of Versailles specified how many rifles the small treaty army could keep: enough for them and a reasonable amount of spares. That meant there were millions of rifles that needed to be destroyed, many of whom had been taken home by soldiers. Most of them were never recovered. Some armed the various paramilitary organisations between the wars, and some were just kept by the soldiers.

It became illegal to privately own rifles in that calibre, which got some of them handed in, but many more were not. In about 1920, somebody created an 8x60mm cartridge, with performance remarkably similar to the military cartridge. Converting an ex-army rifle was a simple matter of lengthening the chamber, which was not expensive, and gave you a military-equivalent rifle that was nonetheless legal. Converting them back would have required a new barrel, and I don't know how many were done.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #15
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
Looking for some good sources on the secret German rearmament efforts in the 1920s and 30s. Found a bit about a Dutch company building U-boat components (NV Ingenieurskantoor voor Scheepsbouw or IvS) in _Blackett's War_, but given how thoroughly WWII has been written about, someone must have written a decent book on specifically on the rearmament efforts. (Which would make a dandy foe for an inter-war years Pulp game.)
One thing that the Weimer government did was train everyone above their rank so that when it came time to fatten the army it would be ready. I think that was inspired by a similar trick Prussia did during a cease-fire in the Napoleonic Wars.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #16
RogerBW

A late addition to this thread: I've just posted on my blog pictures of the Finnish submarine Vesikko, built as part of this covert rearmament effort, and in effect the prototype Typ II U-boat.

https://blog.firedrake.org/archive/2...e_Vesikko.html
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #17
jason taylor

One I just got was Spies in the Congo by Susan Williams about German and Allied spies intriguing to control uranium. I just started the book so I don't know how much it serves your purpose.

Apparently there was a thriving uranium mine in the region. According to the wiki U was used for photography, and as a glaze for glasswork, ceramic, and even dinnerware, the last of which sounds utterly insane in retrospect(nowadays when they use it for shot rounds they know enough to deplete it, then the whole point was that it glowed).

Last edited by jason taylor; 09-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Apparently there was a thriving uranium mine in the region. According to the wiki U was used for photography, and as a glaze for glasswork, ceramic, and even dinnerware, the last of which sounds utterly insane in retrospect(nowadays when they use it for shot rounds they know enough to deplete it, then the whole point was that it glowed).
No, metallic uranium oxides don't glow. I doubt even enriched/U-235 glows tot he human eye. Pure radium might but that's quite a bit more radioactive than even U-235.

Lots of metals and even heavy metals have ended up in pigments. Titanium white, chromium yellow, cadmium blue and others.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
No, metallic uranium oxides don't glow. I doubt even enriched/U-235 glows tot he human eye. Pure radium might but that's quite a bit more radioactive than even U-235.

Lots of metals and even heavy metals have ended up in pigments. Titanium white, chromium yellow, cadmium blue and others.
Well they did something with them apparently that gave some effect like that according to wiki in any event.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Well they did something with them apparently that gave some effect like that according to wiki in any event.
Uranium glass is fluorescent under UV light. Is that what you're thinking of?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote