Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Toltrin

Default Re: Car Wars Variant VDS

By the way, chaoticsyst3m, I find what you did a great service to the Car Wars community (however small it is). In our next gaming session we will implement your rules and see how it goes. It would be such a waste to not use your long efforts. I have one suggestion: double all space in vehicles as well as the weaponry space! It would then do away with all the 1/2 space items and give us some wiggle room when we want a weapon or component that is between a 1 or 2 space, a a 2 or 3 space or whatever. Now a light machine gun can really be 1 space and a regular machine gun would equal 2 spaces! Tell me what you think.
Again, thank you again for all the work you did!
BTW, I combined the HC dial (5mph-100mph) and speed dial (5mph-200mph) onto a large turn key. Pictures shortly!
Toltrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltrin View Post
How about a flipping system to 'right' your vehicle if it ever land on it's side or top?
All of the new components I added exist in the real world. I researched them on the internet very thoroughly. I wasn't really interested in adding things that don't exist (and I've never seen a car-flipping device).
Quote:
forget the vehicle building... we need realistic and simplistic rules for maneuvering and hazard results from losing control!
I don't have a big problem with the rules of play. What I have a problem with are balance issues (primarily with the body types and weapons) and the unnecessary complexity of vehicle design. If you want improved rules of play, I think 43Supporter is your man. He has a lot of ideas for that.
chaoticsyst3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
chaoticsyst3m

Quote:
In our next gaming session we will implement your rules and see how it goes.
Cool, man. Post your critiques in this thread. It would be interesting to hear what someone outside of my gaming group thinks about it. Also, if any questions arise, just ask me for a clarification.
Quote:
I have one suggestion: double all space in vehicles as well as the weaponry space!
That idea has crossed my mind before. After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that it's too big of a change for too small of a benefit.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
J. Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticsyst3m View Post
That idea has crossed my mind before. After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that it's too big of a change for too small of a benefit.
Same here. Frankly, I've found it easier to remove 1/2 and 1/3 space weapons in my design system, and I don't think I'm missing much. I've never had the desire to put a bunch of 1d6-2 rockets in any of my car designs. Looking back, it seems like there was a time in Car Wars when all the low-hanging accessories and weapons were already plucked, so people started sending in designs to fill in the gaps - i.e., 1d6 and 2d6 lasers, rockets smaller than heavy rockets, single-weapon targeting computers, etc. Then it was laser-guided rockets and blast cannons and +2/d6 ammo types, and the whole system went to hell.
J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #15
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Roberts View Post
Looking back, it seems like there was a time in Car Wars when all the low-hanging accessories and weapons were already plucked, so people started sending in designs to fill in the gaps - i.e., 1d6 and 2d6 lasers, rockets smaller than heavy rockets, single-weapon targeting computers, etc.
And yet they managed to miss all manner of 1-space weapons for subcompacts
and cycles (light RR, for ex.). The problem wasn't creating the small stuff; it
was creating the small stuff which was actually useful.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #16
chaoticsyst3m

I've had plenty of time to tinker with my VDS during the "off-season", and I recently finalized a new version for 2060. I updated my previous posts (#7, #8, and #9) to conform to the new rules. Here is a summary of the changes:

- Made the page references match the CWC2 pdf instead of my blue book :)
- Fine-tuned my weapon creation formulas and adjusted weapon stats accordingly.
- Revamped the stats for the pickup so its max load is the same as a van's.
- Added a full-size SUV body type.
- Changed the station wagon into a minivan.
- Cut a few components that I wasn't happy with for one reason or another.
- Added the following components: Acid Cloud Ejector, Active Suspension, Anti-Missile System, Armor Jettison System, Chromoly Chassis, Crew Cab, Flechette Ammo (for the Auto Shotgun), Infrared Homing Missile, Laser-Absorbing Paint, Lotus Effect Windshield, Magazine Switch, Metal Storm Gun, Off-Road Suspension, Off-Road Tires, Silicon Carbide Circuitry, Smoke Grenade, Thermobaric Rocket, Tilting Wheels, Ultra Low Profile.