Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #61
JLV

Default Re: Decks of Destiny - Late April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Giant View Post
"Late April"..........:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We're still planning to launch the project before the end of this month. (But not on the weekend. And likely not on Tuesday, since we have a distributor show to fly out to on that day.)
(Emphasis added by me.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #62
philreed
I do stuff and things.

A preview of the Kickstarter page. You can also click the "notify me on launch" button to receive email notification when the project goes live.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=8a44af49
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #63
revshafer

Very impressed! You all are doing an excellent job of continuing to bring people in to your games by providing multiple opportunities to purchase Kickstarter games. If someone misses a campaign then they can catch up. Brilliant! This looks like another winner and very reasonably priced for all that is going in to this set.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 AM   #64
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revshafer View Post
Very impressed! You all are doing an excellent job of continuing to bring people in to your games by providing multiple opportunities to purchase Kickstarter games. If someone misses a campaign then they can catch up. Brilliant! This looks like another winner and very reasonably priced for all that is going in to this set.
Thank you! We're trying to keep the new projects flowing while still leaving a way for those who missed out to join in. Our hope is that we can unlock a lot of stretch goals and jam even more into the set; we'll know soon just how much interest there is for more support for The Fantasy Trip!
Old 04-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #65
revshafer

TFT brought me back in to the fold. I looked at TFT and loved it. Took another look at Dungeon Fantasy RPG and GURPS. These are different games but they share the same designer. You all appear to be using Kickstarter to build your lines rather than to produce one shot collectibles, thereby bringing more people in. Ya’ll been in business a long time and that savvy is growing on me.
revshafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:15 AM   #66
larsdangly

Looks excellent! I'm excited by everything I see there and will obviously be 'all in' once it launches. Since you are looking for feedback at this stage, a few notes:

- The MH tiles are the materials I use most fully and regularly at the table, so it is great you are expanding them. Please be aware that I've noticed the larger ones are a little vulnerable to warping during storage. As you cook up your mix of new shapes and sizes you might want to consider this.

- Similarly, one 'soft spot' of the experience of working with the MH tiles is that they are a bit slippy and so your map can shift around during play. If you can think of a good surface that will keep this from happening (a really big textured rubber mat?) it might make a great add on.

- I'm sure it's occurred to you that folks will be interested in a set of fighter cards for the other humanoid races; I'm sure it would be welcome to customers

- When you put together monster cards, perhaps have an eye to individualizing some of them. E.g., a really big gooey troll rather than just a standard issue one, or a dragon or demon with some tricks up its sleeves. Or perhaps a set of special property cards for monsters analogous to your talent cards for heroes?

- One 'failure mode' we've seen in the production process of the LE set was some rules violations on fighter cards; this is obviously a place to be especially careful

- Both thumbs up on the new concept of the tessellating labyrinth map hexagonal tiles. Please consider the idea of a similar concept for exterior spaces (showing features of wilderness, village, city, etc.). Also, this is a great new 'design space' for materials that will complement this MH-scale hex mapping gear, such as little markers for noting features such as doors, traps, stairs, shafts, etc.,

- I don't see any marker chits for various monsters. There will be a lot of demand for this as people realize they don't have a way of representing horses, etc. in combat
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #67
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Thanks for the feedback. As to new counters, those are scheduled for a later project.

As to fighters, monsters, and other cards, please note that all stretch goals have not yet been revealed. :)

* Megahexes - Do you have any photos of warped tiles? We would like to share pics with the factory and try to figure out what may have happened. I've personally not spotted any warp issues with the tiles, and it's important that if there is an issue that we deal with it right away.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #68
larsdangly

I'll see if I can organize a picture of a warped tile. It won't knock your socks off because the 'z direction' deformation I've noticed is just a few mm. But that's enough to make them not lie flat and line up with a neighbor edge to edge. The situation where this happens is when a 3-hex or bigger tile is stored flat and on top of another tile that doesn't support its full length. It seems to be reversible (i.e., you can re-flatten it by storing at the bottom of a pile of heavy things). But, if you've got a warped one it's noticeable when you are working with the tiles at the table. I doubt it is avoidable given the size, thickness and materials, but it wouldn't happen if there were a way of storing them vertically instead of jumbled in a box.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #69
Chris Rice

I think the Decks of Destiny is really moving TFT in a unique and exciting direction.

Unfortunately, it's hard to make out any details with the picture resolution posted.

Two things though:

Option cards. There are 3 colours of card shown. If these relate to the 3 conditions of: Engaged, Disengaged and HTH, then this could be a clever way to make the option system clearer. In other words, you choose a colour of card appropriate to your condition, but can swap it for a card of the same colour at any time as long as you've not performed your action for that turn. I hope the intention is something along those lines. This would really be a boon when teaching new players, and I can see the need for several sets.

Adversaries. I think "Monster Cards" is a great idea, and 30 is a good start, but we need more. Lots more!

If I could see clearer copies of the other cards I could maybe comment further.

Still, looking good :)
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #70
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Option cards. There are 3 colours of card shown. If these relate to the 3 conditions of: Engaged, Disengaged and HTH . . .
Nailed it in one. Or three.