Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Wayne

Default Spell Energy Cost Reduction

In GURPS there is the concept of decreasing the ST requirement for spells you know really well. I assumed it was in TFT as well but can't find it. Here's the GURPS rule:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS
If your base skill with a spell is 15 or more – adjusted only by modifiers for sanctity, Nature’s strength, or mana, as applicable – reduce the spell’s casting cost by 1. If you have skill 20 or more, reduce cost by 2. Cost continues to decrease by 1 per full five skill levels beyond skill 20. Apply the same reduction to the cost to maintain a spell.
I think it would be reasonable to carry this over to TFT, obviously there is no such thing as skill levels so you would have to base it on IQ.

If your IQ is five greater than the spell requirement – reduce the spell’s casting cost by 1. The cost continues to decrease by 1 per each additional five IQ beyond the spell's requirement.
Apply the same reduction to the cost to maintain a spell.

If you are allowing Arcane Training then it may also be counted to decrease spell casting ST cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Arcane Training I through V
This represents intensive training in the arcane arts beyond the basic level known to a starting character. It costs 1000 XP for a wizard to learn (can't be taken by heroes or starting characters) and raises the wizard's IQ by one, but only for the spells he can learn, mana limit, and spell casting purposes.
This talent can taken a total of five times at 1000 XP per level.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Spell Energy Cost Reduction

Arcane training would already help with spell costs by increasing the figure's mana storage.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
If your IQ is five greater than the spell requirement – reduce the spell’s casting cost by 1. The cost continues to decrease by 1 per each additional five IQ beyond the spell's requirement.

Apply the same reduction to the cost to maintain a spell.
I like this, but would it apply to spells that have stacking effects based on the ST you put into them (i.e. magic fist, fireball, etc.)?

Can I also assume that the ST cost could never be reduced below 1?
Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #4
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Can I also assume that the ST cost could never be reduced below 1?
In GURPS you can have zero cost spells.
I think that's reasonable, if you have IQ (plus arcane training) high enough.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
would it apply to spells that have stacking effects based on the ST you put into them (i.e. magic fist, fireball, etc.)?
Yes, a 3 ST fireball might only cost 1 ST if you have IQ 22, or 0 if you have IQ 27
Old 10-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Yes, a 3 ST fireball might only cost 1 ST if you have IQ 22, or 0 if you have IQ 27
Unfortunately, I have serious doubts about characters actually reaching those stat levels given the current XP progression schedule so the idea might be moot.
;)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Wayne

If some demigod manages to get IQ 33, I think it's entire reasonable for them to throw around 3d+3 Wizard's Wraths for zero cost :D
Old 10-19-2018, 04:41 PM   #8
Anthony

GURPS has penalties for maintenance of spells; absent something equivalent, permanent (0 cost to maintain) buffs are likely to be a problem. Also, aid chaining (at IQ 14, cast Aid ST for 1->0. Next turn, use that ST for Aid ST 2. Repeat) would be a problem for casting that doesn't have significant time pressure.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
Skarg

Or the IQ 21 wizard who can cast Illusions all day long with no fatigue cost.

Or the IQ 13 wizard who can cast images all day long, and keep Blur running forever on as many people as he wants.

Or the IQ 14 wizards who keep casting and maintaining 1-point Aid spells for no fatigue?

Clearly there needs to be a limit, at least that the savings don't apply to maintenance costs.

But that still leaves Image and Illusion able to maintain a group of 12 in rotation, or the arsonist who casts Fire all day long.

Perhaps minimum 1 cost is needed in TFT. The spells were all written with the idea they'd cost something.

And crit failures should still cost... and if the backfires sometimes have teeth (unpredictable teeth) that can discourage all-day casting.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
hcobb

Reduce the cost by 1 to cast and an additional increment between maintenance payments for every five points you exceed your adjDX on the roll?