Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Anaximander

Default GURPS Dragon Age

I will soon begin running a game set in the world of the Dragon Age video games/ novels/ whatever other media they've got. As a relatively inexperienced gm I am asking for help and suggestions coming up with setting appropriate mechanics that utilizes GURPS. So far I have created a few racial templates, which I will post here, and settled on the magic system that we will use (normal mana, ritual magic based on Thaumatology).

the Racial Templates I have created for the game are as follows

Elf 4 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST-1 [-10], DX+1 [20]
Advantages: Attractive [4]
Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Minority Group) [-10]

The video game gives bonuses to being of Elven Race that don't translate well to GURPS, but the lore surrounding them made it relatively easy to make up balanced new ones. The only feature I could not work in was their higher level of "attunement" to Magic, whatever that means. The game lore is non-specific as to what that means, and granting them a level of Magery would make them an entire race of potential mages, which they're not. The Social Stigma they suffer from ought to be familiar to anyone who has played the game, but I was unsure whether to label them as a Minority Group or as Second-Class Citizens. I eventually went with the Minority-Group application because I felt it applied more universally for Elven characters of both Alienage and Dalish background.

Dwarf 14 points
Attribute Modifiers: HT+1[10]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM -1
Advantages: Magic Resistance 2 [4]

I am pretty satisfied with the Dwarf template as it is, but I am open to suggestions on how to improve it. The only thing I'm unsure of is how to represent their immunity to the worst effects of Lyrium and their ability to craft magic arms and armor.

Qunari 24 points
Attribute Modifiers: ST +2 [20]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM 1
Advantages: Reduced Consumption 2 [4]

This one took the most imagination on my part. Since they were not a race you could choose for your own character their abilities are unclear. All that I had to go on was that they are big, can live for weeks without food and water if necessary, and are a rigidly split society between those who follow their philosophy and those who don't. I thought about making their religious devotion a racial quirk, but it seems that there are Qunari who are not a part of it.

Some remaining mechanics I need to work out are Blood Magic, Lyrium and stats for monsters (especially Darkspawn). The current sourcebooks I'm using are GURPS Fantasy, Magic and Thaumatology and for reference on the game world I am mostly using http://dragonage.wikia.com/

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to read this and offer suggestions.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dragon age, dungeon fantasy, fantasy