Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #271
larsdangly

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

I for one am going to put my time where my mouth is, ditch all those wonky rules based projects for a while, and just make a big, cool TFT dungeon.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #272
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I for one am going to put my time where my mouth is, ditch all those wonky rules based projects for a while, and just make a big, cool TFT dungeon.
That's the spirit! And if you're so inclined, please contact SJG about submitting it too! Maybe you'll have the beginnings of our first TFT "Megadungeon!"
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #273
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctabyanan View Post
JLV, you are right. No matter how it is done, having the adventures for players to run will be important to the long term revival of TFT—and for it to expand beyond us people who have loved it since the Carter administration.
"The Carter Administration!" Jesus. Now I feel...really old...

(I lived in El Paso, Texas, in 1977, and I remember hearing the helicopters fly over my house every night, practicing to rescue the hostages from Iran -- which ended in the Desert One fiasco, unfortunately. Everyone in El Paso knew what was going on, and not one person in my High School would even mention the helicopters, much less speculate about what was going down. Nowadays it would be all over Twitter and Facebook...)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #274
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Quote:
Go for it!
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #275
ColBosch

I second SJ here, and will add a general request for those doing fan projects: content over crunch! TFT is a simple enough system that if I see something I don't like, I can fix it myself. But I don't always have time to come up with new adventures, dungeons, monsters, and magic items. And if you really want to make me happy...new programmed adventures! I've got a couple I'm mulling over, and I've love to see some others from the community.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #276
larsdangly

So true. If there is one lesson to learn from the full arc of the history of roleplaying games, its that content is king.

D+D's rules were always oddly organized, drifted around and were constantly being hacked in major ways. The details of the rules are not what made it stay on top in the face of lots of well produced competitors.

The real content of the game - dungeons, monster manuals, spell books, items - were exceptional from the beginning and remain impressive. I can't think of another game in the last 40 years that put out the volume of meaty material that actually gets used at the table in such a short time.

Plus, good settings and dungeons are forever whereas most rules 'hacks' are just static that gets lost in the noise of the hundreds of game systems out there.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #277
JLV

Quote:
So true. If there is one lesson to learn from the full arc of the history of roleplaying games, its that content is king.

D+D's rules were always oddly organized, drifted around and were constantly being hacked in major ways. The details of the rules are not what made it stay on top in the face of lots of well produced competitors.

The real content of the game - dungeons, monster manuals, spell books, items - were exceptional from the beginning and remain impressive. I can't think of another game in the last 40 years that put out the volume of meaty material that actually gets used at the table in such a short time.

Plus, good settings and dungeons are forever whereas most rules 'hacks' are just static that gets lost in the noise of the hundreds of game systems out there.
This is completely true. Maybe this needs to be co-posted on the other thread too; personally I think it's good advice for Steve to consider as he contemplates the "where do we go from here" part of TFT. Yes, I know the first order of business is to get the existing rules and games back into print; but after that I think "content should be king" as lars states. So, again I'll put in a request for a Cidri sourcebook to kick things off! ;-)
Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 PM   #278
stefanj

I read a thread today about high cost being a barrier-to-entry for some kids to get into RPG.

This is just a thought:

Make TFT the bargain RPG. Not shabby, but, hmmm, thrifty.

Perhaps packaged and priced to sell in places like Target. Or Walgreens.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #279
larsdangly

Well, that was its market strategy when it first came out. I fondly remember first spotting advanced melee on the local hobby shop magazine rack and quickly calculating how much work I had to do clearing stumps from my family's back yard so I could afford it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:36 AM   #280
DarkPumpkin

I do wonder about the niche overlap between a new TFT and Dungeon Fantasy. Particularly in terms of potential new supplements like dungeons, minis or even setting material, the systems occupy a similar space.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote