Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #1
Anders

Default Incantation Magic: New Paths

Here's something I concocted for a campaign - Illusionism:

Illusionism
Aspect: The senses, light and darkness

This Path is used to create illusions and mislead beings. It can be used to feed false information to someone or merely to amuse and entertain.

Sense Illusionism: Discover illusions and where they come from; track illusions back to their maker.
Strengthen Illusionism: Create a static illusion; increase the ambient light in an area, negating up to -3* in Vision penalties; enhance Per by +10%*; add any sensory advantage (Acute Senses, Discriminatory Senses, etc., but not e.g. Danger Sense or Intuition).
Restore Illusionism: Dispel manipulation of the ambient light level; restore someone’s senses to their normal function; repair a damaged illusion.
Control Illusionism: Control an illusion you have not created yourself; create a ward (p.*I22) against illusions; change aspects of light other than brightness (e.g., color or direction it comes from).
Destroy Illusionism: Destroy illusions; destroy or weaken someone’s senses – e.g., striking someone deaf or blind; decrease the ambient light in an area, adding up to -3* in Vision penalties; decrease Per by -10%*.
Create Illusionism: Create a mobile illusion; give an Illusion new abilities; change a subject so that he appears to be an illusion to magical senses.
Transform Illusionism: Give a mobile illusion initiative (to make it truly interactive requires a Create Mind effect as well); change any aspect of an illusion; add non-human senses (e.g., Sonar or Infravision) to a person.

I've moved darkness from Necromancy [edit: light from Elementalism and senses and sensory impressions from Mesmerism]. Anything specific I've missed?

Last edited by Anders; 01-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
Gnomasz

Default Re: Incantation Magic: New Paths

To be fair, I wouldn't put body (senses) and light together in my game, the combination seems odd to me. But if that's how you like it, I'd say it's quite a nice listing. I'd only consider moving Discriminatory Senses from Strengthen to Transform. They are after all something different than Acute Sense +4. But I also see your point.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
TTiger97

This sounds an awful lot like effects you can use with the Path of Elementalism by creating/reshaping light. Path of Elementalism is basically the Path of Energy from the mother of incantation magic, Ritual Path Magic. Also, you can affect someone's personal ability to sense things by casting a Path of Mesmerism (note that this affects IQ 6 or higher beings only) or Path of Transfiguration (affects anything with a physical being/body) spell. Consider simply making this a path focus using the rules in Pyramid #3/66 Laws of Magic p.g. 20 under the box named Simplified Specialties.
TTiger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
starslayer

If your going to add paths they really should be expanding the functionalities of incantation. With that said adding extra paths means less spell stacking, so more options for active effects (as long as they are not buffs which is limited to 2).

However incantation already covers everything that is not niche protected, so these should be secrets, or perhaps otherwise restricted.

Path of healing:
Straightforward, used to heal people, regrow limbs, undo undeath and raise the dead. Given the importance of healing in df this disserves its own path.

Path of space-time:
Covers manipulation of space and time.
Sense: can determine you absolute position, or the absolute time combined with path of elementalisim can create an accurate map of your travels. Can detect portals.
Control: can speed up or slow down the passage of time (getting extra attacks, speeding healing, or getting bonuses/penalties), can also increase or decrease the distance between two points allowing faster or slower movement across that space. Finally can redirect portals or other gates.
Transform: can make one way travel changes (IE a hallway that is 10 hexes long which is effectively 1 hex NS and 100 sn ). Can also displace a person in space or time (teleport/timeport).
Create: create a portal through space or time.

Path of nature:
Covers affecting plants and animals.

Path of the divine:
Does for divine what demonology does for demons.

Path of the outsider:
Does for elder things that demonology does for demons.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiger97 View Post
This sounds an awful lot like effects you can use with the Path of Elementalism by creating/reshaping light. Path of Elementalism is basically the Path of Energy from the mother of incantation magic, Ritual Path Magic. Also, you can affect someone's personal ability to sense things by casting a Path of Mesmerism (note that this affects IQ 6 or higher beings only) or Path of Transfiguration (affects anything with a physical being/body) spell. Consider simply making this a path focus using the rules in Pyramid #3/66 Laws of Magic p.g. 20 under the box named Simplified Specialties.
I was thinking more of removing light from Elementalism and sensory/sensor manipulation from Mesmerism and Transfiguration.

Tags
incantation magic, ritual path magic