Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

There's quite a lot of insects who can climb up walls and on ceilings.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
nerdvana

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#17): Brachiator; Clinging; Super Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would pick limpets, myself, or abalone.

Bill Stoddard
Using glue seems somehow both cheating and "less" than clinging. But that is personal aesthetics.
Van der Waals force is how I define clinging.
I was thinking that the glue could be a perk available for creatures with No Legs (Sessile) which would increase the strength needed to lift them... or a Quirk if it both increases the strength needed to lift them and does damage to them if the strength check succeeds. You could also do it as Lifting ST limited to keeping yourself in contact with the surface if it is an active process instead of a passive one perhaps. But I don't think it would be Clinging.
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Fred Brackin

I would add a note that low levels of Super Climbing are probably not Exotic for beings with a very high ST to weight ratio.

For example, if you have a BL that exceeds half your body weight you can do slow one-handed chin ups and pull yourself up a rope with your arms alone. This would be useful in other forms of climbing too as you would be able to do more than hold with your hands and push with your legs.

BL in excess of your body weight would let you climb a rope _quickly_ about as fast as an average man could pull a rope up to him.

The second case almost certainly requires a Supers level of ST but the first one can be achieved by extremely athletic people like gymnasts (who may have spent pts on Unusual Training Perks allowing Arm ST).

Squirrels will be in the BL greater than weight category as will many monkeys and similar creatures.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
lwcamp

Quote:
Using glue seems somehow both cheating and "less" than clinging. But that is personal aesthetics.
Neither limpets nor abalone attach themselves to surfaces with glue.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwcamp View Post
Neither limpets nor abalone attach themselves to surfaces with glue.

Luke
Wikipedia says limpets use suction and adhesive mucus aka glue.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
GURPS is effect-based, not explanation-based.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
GURPS is effect-based, not explanation-based.
Glue and suction take time to stick. That does not fit clinging at all by my reading.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #18
Otaku

Quote:
Glue and suction take time to stick. That does not fit clinging at all by my reading.
What if the glue and suction are "fluff" as far as system resolution goes?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #19
Anders

Quote:
Preparation Required (-X%)
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
What if the glue and suction are "fluff" as far as system resolution goes?
I have no problem using clinging but describing it with impossible fluff.
But as a player I would have to nitpick the in setting issues such things would imply. Glue that can turn on and off quickly enough to walk up a wall, for example.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, brachiator, clinging, super climbing, [basic]