Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
TJSwoboda

Default Size of Planet Yrth

In Fantasy/Banestorm, has anything been published or stated as to the total size of the planet? I was reading up on Yrth tonight, as I may soon be running a d20 India-based games; I purchased this in PDF. Although d20, it occurred to me to set the game on Yrth, since it's going to be fantasy. But, I had forgotten that the humans imported to the canonical Yrth are pretty much all from Europe and the Islamic world. This leaves me wondering where to stick my homebrew Yrth's equivalent to India.

Is Yrth similar in size to Earth? I know that in the Alternate Earths/Infinity Unlimited context it's the same planet. But I'm not sure to what degree I'm answering my own question here...
TJSwoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Size of Planet Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
In Fantasy/Banestorm, has anything been published or stated as to the total size of the planet? I was reading up on Yrth tonight, as I may soon be running a d20 India-based games; I purchased this in PDF. Although d20, it occurred to me to set the game on Yrth, since it's going to be fantasy. But, I had forgotten that the humans imported to the canonical Yrth are pretty much all from Europe and the Islamic world. This leaves me wondering where to stick my homebrew Yrth's equivalent to India.

Is Yrth similar in size to Earth? I know that in the Alternate Earths/Infinity Unlimited context it's the same planet. But I'm not sure to what degree I'm answering my own question here...
It's pretty much Earth sized, and most of it is terra incognita, considering that all we know of it is a subcontinent about the size of the United States.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
It's pretty much Earth sized, and most of it is terra incognita, considering that all we know of it is a subcontinent about the size of the United States.
Personally I'm pretty sure that it is the corresponding landmass to the US, it looks like right size and sort-of the right shape, and the cataclysm can explain the rest.

Although it being Terra Incognita is actually a bit weird, there's no reason for Infinity not to have explored the rest of the world, might be a Pyramid article there.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Magic would over come loads of low tech issues, but monsters could more than make up for that in difficulty traveling across large oceans.
As to Infinity: Darn it. Lost another balloon drone to a... roc was it?
Old 01-15-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

They sometimes land in the wrong Yrth and get conflicting maps. "What do you mean Madlands is a neighboring continent? It has entirely different quantum coordinates and isn't even in the quantum sargasso!"
Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #6
Paulon

While not impossible, exploring wider Yrth wouldn't be exactly easy for Infinity, as conveyers are on a one way trip in, with no exit except via magical means. Add the likes of the Ministry of Serendipity hunting and stamping on out-time technology to the mix, and logistics get even worse.

They can drop equipment in easily enough, but concealing it from magic-using locals who are actively looking for high tech to suppress, and getting the information they gather back to a local base without being detected wouldn't necessarily be a simple problem. It's something that I'd personally expect Infinity to do after a period of time spent studying the Ytarria area first, to get the procedures they'd need figured out.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #7
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
While not impossible, exploring wider Yrth wouldn't be exactly easy for Infinity, as conveyers are on a one way trip in, with no exit except via magical means. Add the likes of the Ministry of Serendipity hunting and stamping on out-time technology to the mix, and logistics get even worse.
I'd assume that this is a solved problem by the time that the Infinite Worlds book is written, otherwise it wouldn't have noted White Star having a trading outpost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
They can drop equipment in easily enough, but concealing it from magic-using locals who are actively looking for high tech to suppress, and getting the information they gather back to a local base without being detected wouldn't necessarily be a simple problem. It's something that I'd personally expect Infinity to do after a period of time spent studying the Ytarria area first, to get the procedures they'd need figured out.
Your making the assumption that the entire timeline follows the pattern we've seen for one (sub-)continent, and I'd assume that Infinity has disguised scouting equipment for use on ALL timelines, full stop.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yrth