Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Lyze

Default Question regarding techniques

So I have just started to run a 4th edition game and looked at techniques. Specifically Karate's techniques.

Kicking: defaults to karate-2 or brawling-2, prerequisite karate or brawling, maximum prerequisite skill.

Okay, sounds straight forward enough. Kicking can be no higher than Karate, it negates the -2 skill penalty to have kicking. Then I look at the cost. Hard skill, at default, equals zero points.

I notice there's a few other techniques like that, can't be any higher than prerequisite skill so regardless if their average or hard, they always cost zero xp to get and can go no higher.

Is this right? If a technique at default cost zero xp, why wouldn't you just have all the techniques at default level? Why is there even mention of the penalties of using a technique you're not trained in if its free to have it? It'd be dumb not to pick up the zero point technique and negate the non trained penalty to use it. The only situation I can see where a player wouldn't have it is if the GM just says 'you can't have it'.
Lyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Question regarding techniques

Buying a technique up to "default" means up to the base skill level of the skill it's defaulting from. So Kicking (Karate) can be bought from Karate-2 up to Karate+0 level, at a cost of 3 points; or Karate-1 for 2 points. It just cannot be bought higher than the prerequisite skill level (so Karate+0 is the highest you can buy it up to).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-21-2017 at 08:58 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
Lyze

Ah, I see. That makes sense, thanks.
Lyze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Refplace

One important point related to your last question.
You asked why not have them at default? The answer is you do.
The techniques that default to a skill mean everyone with that skill (assuming all prerequisites such as Cinematic Techniques often require Trained By a Master) has the option to try that technique.
So it fleshes out and adds detail to the combat skills.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote